Just added a 101.21200 to my shop out west

Ugh, hopefully there's no damage

No damage that I can tell. The spindle has virtually no runout and is in good shape. I got it re-installed just in time for the new one to arrive....

Cheers,

John

Well, here she is.

101.21200.jpeg

Got down to the end and the metal fairies had made off with the cross slide gib. I actually spent more time looking for it than t took me to make a new one.

gib.jpeg

Now to get the chuck cleaned up, paint to motor and keep looking for a cross slide crank handle but it's just about ready to make some chips....

John

The only obvious thing that I see that isn't correct in the general case is that 99% of the time, the QCTP should be set square with the lathe's longitudinal axis and not square with the compound slide unless the compound slide happens to be set on zero degrees or 90 degrees. About 0.99% of the remaining 1 %, it would be rotated 90 degrees CW putting the turning tool holder on the tailstock side for specialty work near the tailstock. The only case I can recall after 40 years of use is setting it to briefly to +/- 15 degrees in order to cut a 45 degree bevel using a 60 degree cutter.

Otherwise, it does look much better.

The only obvious thing that I see that isn't correct in the general case is that 99% of the time, the QCTP should be set square with the lathe's longitudinal axis and not square with the compound slide unless the compound slide happens to be set on zero degrees or 90 degrees. About 0.99% of the remaining 1 %, it would be rotated 90 degrees CW putting the turning tool holder on the tailstock side for specialty work near the tailstock. The only case I can recall after 40 years of use is setting it to briefly to +/- 15 degrees in order to cut a 45 degree bevel using a 60 degree cutter.

Otherwise, it does look much better.

Just set on there temporarily when this photo was taken. It’s moved around now ;)

I constantly change the position on mine. All depends on what I am doing, and how I want the tool to meet the work piece. I keep a stubby combination wrench on the nut, that sits about the same angle, and a bit shorter then the QCTP's lock handle. The only time I worry about it being parallel to the cross slide, is when I have a parting tool in place.

I forgot to add that if you use hand-ground HSS cutters, how the tool post sits can vary. But if you use carbide, they are normally designed to run with the cutter holder perpendicular to the work surface. I pretty much never use HSS.

I forgot to add that if you use hand-ground HSS cutters, how the tool post sits can vary. But if you use carbide, they are normally designed to run with the cutter holder perpendicular to the work surface. I pretty much never use HSS.

I use both HSS and carbides with my Seneca Falls lathe, just messing with some HSS bits I bought off eBay that have some interesting grinds here. Right now I'm fighting with an old drive belt, have a new one on order but it won't be here till Monday:(

John

Back