Just added a 101.21200 to my shop out west

Looks great! I wonder why the sides of the new compound slide aren't painted?

No idea but that's the way it came and I'll leave it like that. I'm assuming that's the original paint color too.

John

I assume that these bearings are for the 101.12200. Am I correct?
That’s what I used. Was able to get a higher grade than original for a good price on eBay.

Good luck :)

John

That’s what I used. Was able to get a higher grade than original for a good price on eBay.

Good luck :)

John
Thanks for the reply. I ordered a set of Timken on Amazon and should get them tomorrow. When I bought the lathe the previous owner asked me if I wanted to see it run, I didn't feel it necessary as he was using it. I purchased it last May but due to health reasons and the Phoenix summer was unable to get around to it until the past month. When I started it up it had a growl which no doubt is worn-out bearings. I still can't complain as I feel I got a good deal on it. I got the lathe, the motor with drum switch (the switch is a cheap one on Amazon and doesn't work that well), 3 and 4 jaw chuck, lampost tool post, left and right tool holders as well as a cutoff tool holder, a quick change tool holder with accessories, a digital readout, and a 36 drawer cabinet with other miscellaneous supplies and he and his neighbor helped me load it on the truck. I got it all for $250.00, in my mind a steal. I think that if the bearings were better that he would have asked more for it or he just wanted to get rid of it. For twenty plus dollars for bearings, and it's not like I haven't done a job like that before and I will have a nice little machine. It's dirty and could use a paint job but that is for another time. Thanks again.

Yeah, $250 for all that then you did good if new bearings is the extent of its issues.
When I get a chance I'll take some photos and post them. This machine looks like it was hardly used and wasn't abused. Who ever the original purchaser of it was bought the pre-ground HSS set and it appears none of them were used.

Attachments

• lathe.JPG
    lathe.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 10
Hmmm, I had always thought or perhaps just assumed that Timken only made roller bearings.

Hmmm, I had always thought or perhaps just assumed that Timken only made roller bearings.
As far as I know they make both ball and roller bearings. I doubt that these, due to their low price of them, are made in the USA. The place of manufacture was not marked on the boxes.

Yeah, $250 for all that then you did good if new bearings is the extent of its issues.
I installed the new bearings and it is quiet now. I am thinking about changing the motor mounting to eliminate the idle pulley. What's your opinion?

Back