Just bought an old 1994 -12 X 36 Enco Lathe 110-2075

Hello People...
last week's weather was not paint friendly and I only got to paint an hour here and there, it was cloudy & windy most every day and below 70 deg. when I did start painting, I found that painting in a horizontal position with these spray cans caused a dusting effect, the rest of the stand
would have to be painted in a vertical position. I made a stand that worked out pretty well for that purpose.

Weather.jpg

The first pieces I painted were the center web in two parts, the pedestals and the support base...

CenterWeb.jpg
SuportBase.jpg
Pedestal.jpg

Yesterday and today the weather was perfect, and I got the drawer, doors, chip pan and center support painted.

CenterSuports.jpg

ChipPan.jpg

The black paint regardless of prep was harder to paint as smooth a finish as the grey paint, both have this dusting effect like the paint is flashing off quickly.... the outside temp was around 70 deg, so this was unexpected. the directions say it takes 30 minutes dry to touch and handle in 3 hrs, and to use several light coats to prevent sagging... I ended up going with 1 light coat and 2 medium wet coats to get a decent finish. each coat was about 5 minutes apart.

There was always a slight breeze 1-3 miles an hour at most and may have caused the paint to flash quickly, the paint does have excellent coverage, hide ability, sheen and does not require a primer... The grey for reasons unknown painted easier and with less aberrations then the black but the paint job as a whole came out pretty decent.

Prep was easy, removed loose paint & rust on the chip pan then washed everything in soap and water and let dry, wiped down each piece with acetone before painting.

I used 3 3/4 cans of black and 2 1/2 cans of grey to paint the whole stand. I hope the paint lives up to the claims made about it, one thing is for sure it was nice not to have to clean up a spray rig after each paint session.

Last but not least, it takes a few days for this paint to completely cure so just resist the urge to wipe off any dust till then.

FrontView.jpg
StandAngleView.jpg
StandDrawerOpen.jpg

I just have a couple things to finish up tomorrow, order the vinyl Enco Ultra stickers, hand paint the inside of the pedestals, install end caps, door handles and she'll be done.

Sometime this week I'll remount the lathe bed and start building the back splash...

Thanks for Looking.

Last edited:
I have a similar lathe and like what you’re doing but I have to ask a question.

Every time I think about changing my stand I just want to start fresh and put a toolbox or two underneath it. Maybe it’s just that my shop is small but the only thing the stock stand has going for me is it came with the machine.

Don‘t get me wrong, I like your concept. Just seems like too much wasted space for me.

John
i wish i had the talent to do this to mine..

Hello all.

I got the lathe bed back on the stand after letting the paint cure for the week, everything went without a hitch and the stand has very little resistance to movement, granted its missing a couple hundred pounds...

Next in line will be stripping the lath bed down to get it ready for paint, then onto building the backsplash, fixing all the leaks in the gearhead assembly and put it all back together....

LiftLathBed.jpg
LatheBedBackOnStand.jpg

Unfortunately, ill have to put my lathe project on hold for a while because now is the perfect time of year to lay a cement slab for this storage shed I am going to build... I'm my own worst enemy because I like doing everything myself... well maybe except the cement part, still on the fence for that, but should be a lot of fun.

Right now I'm out of room and need a place to store stuff, so a shed project ( Pictured Below ) is next, maybe add a roll up door and solar power who knows... Ill be back to the lath soon enough, thanks for looking.

To bad this is a lathe only forum or Id make a shed thread, lol Naw, then I'd never get anything done...!

1648071240734.png

Last edited:
Looked didn't find it...?
Oops.... Here you go... for now the thread is a place holder... waiting until later this year to get a quote and decide if I go with a metal building or something that looks like the house... Oh, and it is no longer 30x40... down to 30x30 to avoid taking down any of the trees...

Back