Just Ordered A G0704. Let The Fun Begin!

Done.

aeccb596-cd86-477a-bd6f-0ef54c371829_zpswa04hdbb.jpg

Found an inexpensive LED lamp and installed it above the mill.... I will route the electrical cord better. Just wanted to test the light...

63716896-e15c-4e27-b10a-387e500b2502_zpsbo0uasgo.jpg

Now to continue reading the manual...

Oh..and when not in use, these sliding panels cover the mess...

Now you see it

22baf4fd-9ca1-44f6-aa0c-8c770dcdd0fd_zpsr2ocelir.jpg

Now you don't

69d3231e-05c7-4346-b6b3-7788444acfeb_zpsbe7b0dbo.jpg

Gunrunner you need to order a set of these for the Z axis hand crank. Bill did you just spit coffee on your monitor? :rofl:

View attachment 253356

e9962f01-8b3d-4240-91b1-e78ec0243452_zpsildbdteg.jpg

The Vectra #2 is what I use for table screws and column, I also got some #4 for the vertical column. I did not want to go with grease as chips will stick to it. So far (almost a year) everything is working great. I did use grease on the Z axis pinion gear because it is enclosed. I am in AZ so rust is not a huge problem except when you leave a cold drink on the table (duh). I did not measure the temp on my machine, but motor was only warm to the touch, and I have no gears. I have not lubricated my spindle yet, as I have not taken it apart yet.

Keep your eyes open for an older US made Jacobs Chuck or an Albright. I have both, a keyless Albright and a Jacobs J6. Both can be taken apart and replacement parts are available. Stay away from the new Jacobs as they are made in China, and a number of guys have been very unhappy with the quality.

Search hand cleaners on the forum and you should find a number of different options. I use an GoJo myself along with Dawn dish soap.

Now I see why you suggested looking for an used one... US$364.00 yikes!

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=4362783&PMAKA=890-9226

Now I see why you suggested looking for an used one... US$364.00 yikes!

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=4362783&PMAKA=890-9226

There is one on ebay now that looks a little beat up but not bad for the price. New parts are available for Albright directly, so there is not much risk unless the thing has been completely abused. I got one that was almost brand new for $104. It had a 1/2" straight arbor, so I have to use a collet until I get and R8 arbor.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Albright-Chuck-With-Collet-/201388727543?hash=item2ee3b41cf7

Congrats on the new mill, it looks like a fine machine. I like your progression up the chain of mills, I went through a similar journey and finally purchased one last Friday (will be posting that saga soon).

Just for posterity and in no meaning to rain on your parade; You can mill on a drill press, I have done it many times. Ya gotta take light passes and go slow but it will work in a pinch.

Of course, buying the mill was the better choice :)

+++1 on Vactra 2 for the lead screws and bed ways. Enco is a great place to buy Vactra... wait for the 20% coupon.

I keep rust way by squirting oil (Vactra 2) on top of the table when I am done cutting, and wiping it with a paper towel to leave a thin coating on the entire surface.

Look for Enco sales on the Jacob's ball bearing super drill chucks. I like the 8.5N, 11N, and 14N size (I have the full set...) They have them in their sales catalog frequently (like now in fact). But then wait until you can stack a 20% off coupon on top of that (which happens once or twice a month).

Buying a 1/4" drill chuck (8.5N) for use with the smaller chucks saves you a lot of headroom (important on a small mill). A 1/2" or 5/8" chuck is massive, and consumes most of your available z-axis movement.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=479&PMITEM=505-2191

I am not a fan of keyless chucks on a mill. Too frequently, you end up having to use the "chuck key" to loosen them, as drilling tends to tighten them. Might as well save a significant amount of money and go straight for a keyed chuck with a better mechanical advantage. Also, keyless chucks tend to be large and consume available headroom.

Draw bar retaining cup? not required to keep your draw bar in place. I would leave it off... deucidly annoying to have to get it out of the way to change endmills.

Last edited:
Congrats on the new mill, it looks like a fine machine. I like your progression up the chain of mills, I went through a similar journey and finally purchased one last Friday (will be posting that saga soon).

Just for posterity and in no meaning to rain on your parade; You can mill on a drill press, I have done it many times. Ya gotta take light passes and go slow but it will work in a pinch.

Of course, buying the mill was the better choice :)

No Sir. No way to mill with a drill press. Okay!!? :face slap: You must use the proper tool... That is how I justified getting the milling machine with the wife and no way I will entertain other "unsafe" alternatives. :laughing:

All joking aside, very happy with finally having a milling machine. I plan to start practicing tonight.

Last edited:
+++1 on Vactra 2 for the lead screws and bed ways. Enco is a great place to buy Vactra... wait for the 20% coupon.

I keep rust way by squirting oil (Vactra 2) on top of the table when I am done cutting, and wiping it with a paper towel to leave a thin coating on the entire surface.

Look for Enco sales on the Jacob's ball bearing super drill chucks. I like the 8.5N, 11N, and 14N size (I have the full set...) They have them in their sales catalog frequently (like now in fact). But then wait until you can stack a 20% off coupon on top of that (which happens once or twice a month).

Buying a 1/4" drill chuck (8.5N) for use with the smaller chucks saves you a lot of headroom (important on a small mill). A 1/2" or 5/8" chuck is massive, and consumes most of your available z-axis movement.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=479&PMITEM=505-2191

I am not a fan of keyless chucks on a mill. Too frequently, you end up having to use the "chuck key" to loosen them, as drilling tends to tighten them. Might as well save a significant amount of money and go straight for a keyed chuck with a better mechanical advantage. Also, keyless chucks tend to be large and consume available headroom.

Draw bar retaining cup? not required to keep your draw bar in place. I would leave it off... decidedly annoying to have to get it out of the way to change endmills.

I got the Vactra 2 at 15% and free shipping. Should be here Friday. I will use it to coat the surface of the table to prevent rust. Cool!

On the drill chuck. I just could not bear to use what came with the machine... you should have seen it when I first tested it... awful runout. That is going straight to the trash as I can't see myself using it ever... I will follow your recommendation and get a smaller chuck... you are correct, the one I got is massive... here, take a look:

d2621bbf-bc9a-4a99-abe6-953525d81aa1_zpse4uyebsi.jpg

02d7d6a2-f734-43c5-a6fc-c6f3721c68fe_zpswcoctoae.jpg

But it was integrated to the R8 shank, not that expensive, and runs great. I will look into getting a smaller one. Thank you for the advice!

Back