Just Picked Up A Kent 4vk

It's done. :dancing banana: \

Adhering to the hobby machinist creed, why buy it when you can make it at 10 times the cost? :confused 3: Pretty sure this part is available from Acer for a couple hundred bucks, but what fun is that?:p Turning a hundred bucks worth of aluminum into a pile of chips is just too much fun.:grin:

OK, the final operations. I flipped it over and took a light skin pass on the top just to flatten it out, then pocketing the face 0.201 deep. This will leave 0.150 for the face thickness. 3/8 solid carbide, 2 flute end mill. 3000 RPM, 10 IPM, .125 DOC, and a 40% stepover.

IMG_0541.jpg

The final pocket pass, about 61 minutes run time.

IMG_0542.jpg

And the pocketing is finished, including the tach and switch mount holes. Same end mill and conditions as above. I again proved that the sign is important in entering the work height, the switch and tach pockets start at -0.201 in the Z axis, I entered 0.201 which means that it took three air passes before it started cutting metal. :mad: Not very efficient, but the run time per pass was reasonably short and I'm not in that big of a hurry. If I had to make another one I would fix that.

IMG_0543.jpg

And the final operation; rounding over the edges. For this I'm using a Harbor Freight, 0.062 radius, carbide router bit. 0.031 DOC per pass, 3000 RPM, 10 IPM. I modify the bearing type router bits by removing the bearing then mill off the bearing stud so it will cut flush. Don't get to greedy with the cut using a 1/4 shank router bit in a mill and keep it chucked up as short as possible.. :cautious:

IMG_0544.jpg

The nearly finished part, ready for deburr and a little filing in the tach hole to remove the corner radius so the tach will go in the hole.

IMG_0545.jpg

And ready for installation...

IMG_0548.jpg

Don't have the M6 cap screws yet, Guess I'll just have to hold it in place..;)
IMG_0547.jpg

Last edited:
That looks great. Thank you.

I have the legend plate for the on/off switch. It came in yesterday. The cap screws are in my vehicle. :cheer:

Great job . Plus if you come across a motor for the other head you'll be in like flint for 50 years. Looks good even if you don't paint it , I think it's the perfect show off that your a true machinist. Yupp way to go.

If I run across a motor really cheap I'll pick it up and might put the head back together, but doubt if I'll use the original head. I like that new one is R8 and that great Super E motor would be hard to let go of and go back to the manual speed changer.

But Jim and I have lots of spare parts now. He has a project that he can use the old head to design the parts head needs to build for his mill. Getting this mill was a win win for both of us.

And when I get the mill home and into service I can sell my Bridgeport and that gives me cash for the next score I run across :)

Hmm....... The question is can I bring myself to actually sell a tool??? Especially one that I rebuilt from the ground up.

Hmm....... The question is can I bring myself to actually sell a tool??? Especially one that I rebuilt from the ground up.

that all depends on what you can get with the money. Mortgage payment = no tool sale. CNC lathe = tool sale :D

My household money is separate so that's all covered. All of this is done with money from my business or money made from wheeling and dealing.

So if I can bring myself to sell the Bridgeport I can spend it on any new toy I find.

And I'm sure I can find something eventually :)

We got the mill pretty much done and we moved it to my place from Jim's.

I rented a drop deck trailer and we put skids under the mill and when we got it to my place I used a come along to pull it off the trailer.

I rotated the head up and it just clears my garage door by about 3/4". I plan on painting it so it's in the middle of the garage for now.

The X axis scale for the DRO is bad, so I'm going for a new 3 axis DRO for it, and have to get the power draw bar set up.

When it's all done I'll sell my Bridgeport. My GF says she was shocked, couldn't believe I would want to sell a tool, specially one I rebuilt from the ground up. But when I sell it there will be more money for new scores :)

20151106_185241.jpg 20151113_192725.jpg 20151113_192845.jpg 20151113_192330-1.jpg 20151121_114530.jpg 20151121_114849.jpg 20151121_151703.jpg 20151121_151230.jpg

That thing is a beast and it came out really nice congrats!

Thanks. Not done with it yet, but pretty happy with my investment in it.

By the time I get a DRO on it I'll be in it for $2300.

Got the painting done today. Took longer than I had hoped, a failed in tank fuel pump I had to replace on my daily driver set me back a week.

It's amazing what a little elbow grease and a few cans of paint will do to a machine. The name plates had a dingy brown paint on them, so I decided to give them a little bit of color to make them stand out some.

I'm going to drop by my local bearing supplier tomorrow after work and pick up a couple of bearings for the head. Took one off and it feels good, but I can shake it and hear it rattle. So better to replace them now than later when they seize.

All I have left to do now before I put it into service and sell my Bridgeport is get a DRO on it.

20151206_145808.jpg 20151206_145603.jpg 20151205_115838.jpg

Back