Just Picked Up A Kent 4vk

Looking good. Looks like a new mill. Nice looking switch panel too:grin::rolleyes:

Thanks. Was a lot of work but well worth it I think. I may not have painted it if it wasn't for the cream colored Acer head. Yes the switch panel looks great. I considered painting it, but then you couldn't see how nice it looks.

So since its a mix of Kent and Acer, should I make up new name plates the say "Kacer" :)

Super looking mill, gona be tuff to make it dirty at least at first , then . A quick wipe down and she will look good as new, I really like it great job. I still dream of a nice shop with perty machines yupp only a dream, my shops so full of tools I don't get to hardly use them . Wish somebody would trade or by my wood working shop. Oh well I keep trying . Good luck with your mill it really turned out super.

Really nice job, appreciate sharing the information. We sell so we can buy more.

Thanks everyone. I'm really happy how it turned out.

When I sell my Bridgeport I can buy a DRO for my lathe, and a 3 and 4 jaw chucks for it.

And I'll be looking for anther project when this is done. I like to stay busy :grin:

And I'll be looking for anther project when this is done. I like to stay busy :grin:

You'll have another project I ever get the programming done for your Shizouka, you'll have to learn how to use it! :p

That will keep me busy for at least a weekend or two :)

Pulled the head apart to replace a couple of bearings and decided to pull the caps off the motor. Got a petty big surprise when I did.

20151211_190216.jpg

That is, unfortunately, not very much of a surprise. Every mechanic knows that you pump grease in until you see it come out around the seal, right? Except you never see it come out on a motor...

Fortunately the grease won't hurt the insulation (but could cause the motor to overheat). Clean it out with mineral spirits followed by hot soapy water followed by thorough drying (apply low voltage to the windings to warm them up). It'll be fine. Relube according to manufacturer's instructions.

Back