Just Picked Up A Kent 4vk

The motor has a zerk, and on the opposite side a relief valve. From what I can see apparently when the motor was new it had bearings that needed to be greased. We are pretty sure the motor has been rewound and looks like the non sealed bearings have been replaced with sealed bearings so when you pump grease in it has no place to go but into the motor.

I found some Berryman electric motor cleaner listed at a parts store but even though it was supposed to be in stock I was told I'd have to order a case. So the next best thing I found was contact cleaner. Did an OK job on the grease. My main concern with the motor being controlled by a VFD was overheating at low speeds. It's back together now. Am waiting on a bearing to come in to finish putting the head back together.

Well the mill is officially done. Made my first chips with it tonight. It was only drilling a couple of holes into a fixture base, but it is making chips.

Got the DRO on and have a little cable management to do on the DRO cables and then move the Bridgeport out of it's spot and move the Kent into it's place.

This thing is quite. I was drilling some holes tonight and all I heard was the drill cutting into the steel.

I'm going to have to do something with my down feed handle. It hits the hi/low range lever.

20151230_194436.jpg 20151230_194238.jpg 20151230_194818.jpg

Major problem , two handles hitting , ok tell ya what I'm willing to do . Load that trouble making mill up on your trailer , then you drive that no good machine to New Jersey and you give it to that silverbullet guy. let him have it for four or five years and he will work those troubles out. Or you could just heat and bend the down lever to the right a few inches. Up to you I'm willing to see if I can teach it to operate correctly .

I dunno, you may have to scrap it. Bring it on over and I'll take it in with the next load:grin:

Hmmmm...............that's a pretty long road trip and I only have 4 more days of vacation left. I may not make it in time. Can you do a youtube video on how to run it for me instead???

But I just may end up scrapping it, I don't have a way to heat that darn handle to bend it ;)

Just a thought, is the hinge pin in that handle? Mine fell out and then the handle hit the Hi/Lo range lever. I put a roll pin in mine.

I'll check on that.

Today I'm going to clean the Bridgeport up and take some pics of it, then work on moving it out. I have to go get some pipe or maybe some conduit for rollers to move them. I think conduit would be ok, it's much cheaper than pipe is.

The hinge pin is there.

I did a little "adjusting" on the down feed handle. Works well now.

Looks like the road trip to New Jersey is out for now. But...............something else may come up that changes that ;)
20151231_122632.jpg

And that's the head you scored at auction - right?
Now that is some timing. And it is nice and quiet? I could go for that.
Considering it was bouncing around on a pallet for who knows how long...
That puppy is looking sharp.

Back