Last time, I promise: PM-1228 or PM-1236??

So giving up variable speed is not a big deal?

Variable speed DC motors like the 1228 are very nice because you just turn a knob like a dimmer switch, but I don't think changing speed on a gear head lathe like the 1236 is a big deal.

I don't have a gear head lathe, but from my understanding it is much simpler than dealing with belts for speed changes, you are just turning knobs. If you had to choose between variable speed or changing belts that would be something worth giving good consideration to.

I just ordered an appropriately sized 3 phase motor for mine, what @Aaron_W says about gear head machines is definitely true. Since mine has belts and a back gear for really slow speeds I'll switch over to the 3 phase w/VFD for complete flexibility.

John

Not really in this case, no. The 1236 has easy speed adjustment. Perhaps not as easy as a dimmer knob, but good enough. And if the choice is between the options for this thread, the larger, heavier, more rigid machine is well worth dropping the speed for. And you can swap to a 3 phase motor and VFD or a DC motor with a controller for the full variable speed later. You can't add iron. :)

Went through this myself earlier this year. Started by choosing a 10-30, then an 11-27, then a 12-28 because the 11-27 was back ordered, then finally got the 12-36 PEP. Its a nice machine. Way more than I need, but that's kind of the idea. Get the cast iron 'heavy duty' base.

I will say the the 12-36 is on the very end of the "what kind of hassle do I want to go through to move this thing" scale. I ended up buying a pallet jack to move the crate around when it arrived, as I was right in the middle of moving to a new home. Setting it up - I used a harbor freight 2 ton engine hoist w/ lifting straps. And I felt that was pretty much maxed out. And its a two person job to be sure. So just know what you're getting into with eyes wide open.

and be prepared to drop more cash on tooling right away. It just adds up so quickly. lol

Went through this myself earlier this year. Started by choosing a 10-30, then an 11-27, then a 12-28 because the 11-27 was back ordered, then finally got the 12-36 PEP. Its a nice machine. Way more than I need, but that's kind of the idea. Get the cast iron 'heavy duty' base.

I will say the the 12-36 is on the very end of the "what kind of hassle do I want to go through to move this thing" scale. I ended up buying a pallet jack to move the crate around when it arrived, as I was right in the middle of moving to a new home. Setting it up - I used a harbor freight 2 ton engine hoist w/ lifting straps. And I felt that was pretty much maxed out. And its a two person job to be sure. So just know what you're getting into with eyes wide open.

and be prepared to drop more cash on tooling right away. It just adds up so quickly. lol

The cast iron HD base is out of stock... could not add it to the order when I called. I just checked, still shows "Out of stock" :confused:

I have one of those HF engine hoist... will look into renting a pallet jack to move the crate around during setup.

I bought the 1228 which is plenty for what I'm going to do. I did a ton of research and I found that everyone that owned the 1228 was extremely satisfied with it. Mine took 6 months to arrive (got here last week) and it is still in the shipping crate until tomorrow. I did the exact same thing you did and in my case, the pricing was different at the time, which saved some money. My main concern was the difference in weight and that it needed 220. I don't have 220 in my shop (don't need it) and the 1000# weight really turned me against the 1236. Plus, there were a lot of things that I just didn't need, including the coolant portion of it.

Frank Hoose has series on YouTube about the 1228 and is what finally convinced me I had made the correct decision. Plus, two others contacted me that had just gotten the 1228 (one was a machinist by trade) and there were no negatives from either of them. You can also look up a guy on YouTube that uses Koba (???) as his screen name.

I bought the 1228 which is plenty for what I'm going to do. I did a ton of research and I found that everyone that owned the 1228 was extremely satisfied with it. Mine took 6 months to arrive (got here last week) and it is still in the shipping crate until tomorrow. I did the exact same thing you did and in my case, the pricing was different at the time, which saved some money. My main concern was the difference in weight and that it needed 220. I don't have 220 in my shop (don't need it) and the 1000# weight really turned me against the 1236. Plus, there were a lot of things that I just didn't need, including the coolant portion of it.

Frank Hoose has series on YouTube about the 1228 and is what finally convinced me I had made the correct decision. Plus, two others contacted me that had just gotten the 1228 (one was a machinist by trade) and there were no negatives from either of them. You can also look up a guy on YouTube that uses Koba (???) as his screen name.
I had the same concern about the weight. The 1236 is about the max I'd want my harbor freight engine hoist to pickup without some structure upgrades. But at the end of the day - I can't pickup a 1030, 1127, 1228 or a 1236 without an engine hoist, so it was a wash for me.
I wouldn't go any bigger without a significantly better lifting system though.

I had the same concern about the weight. The 1236 is about the max I'd want my harbor freight engine hoist to pickup without some structure upgrades. But at the end of the day - I can't pickup a 1030, 1127, 1228 or a 1236 without an engine hoist, so it was a wash for me.
I wouldn't go any bigger without a significantly better lifting system though.
Wish me luck lifting my 1340 with a HF hoist! ;-p

TheKoba49, yes, I watched his videos as well... at the end of the day, for me, both being just about the same price, I went with the 1236... I have 220 single phase in the garage of the new house. I asked for several 220 outlets because I knew I needed one for the air compressor, one for the stove (powder coating), and in case I needed more for something else. That was a good thing because I could make my decision independent of voltage required.

IMG_7389-sm.jpg

IMG_8177.jpg

Getting it in the garage is also not going to be an issue... long, fairly flat, driveway... I decided not to put it in the future detached garage/workshop that I hope to build next year... Figured I would use it more if it was closer.... Plus I did not wanted to get it all dirty from any other work that I did in the workshop... The VW, all the car projects really, and motorcycles would be in the workshop...We just finished the shed for all the gardening stuff... So that single bay garage side would be my area for the lathes, mill/s, and a stove a friend gave me... And for the first time in 30 years, my wife is looking forward to parking her car inside the garage...

I will not lie, I still go back and forth but hold my self from making anymore changes.... the wait is a PITA because it gives me time to second guess my decision... I still go to craigslist and see these used ones and think of cancelling the order and getting something locally used (something I was against at first and not so much now...) Imagine all the additional tools I can buy with the $$ money saved...

Last edited:
Wish me luck lifting my 1340 with a HF hoist! ;-p

I have moved a 13x40 with the smaller HF hoist, shouldn't be a problem as long as you aren't extending it all the way out.

John

Back