Line boring one piece vtwin kohler block

I like that, I think the only thing I would change about that is a bolt on jug.
These are built around the Briggs OHV engines that have a bunch of billet performance parts already available. We used to manufacture billet roller rockers and sell a head that would bolt on.

Lots of good model engine builders on here but racing stuff takes it to another level.

If anyone is looking for a small engine dyno mine is still available in Michigan. Make a good deal for someone that’ll put it to use.

John

These are built around the Briggs OHV engines that have a bunch of billet performance parts already available. We used to manufacture billet roller rockers and sell a head that would bolt on.

Lots of good model engine builders on here but racing stuff takes it to another level.

If anyone is looking for a small engine dyno mine is still available in Michigan. Make a good deal for someone that’ll put it to use.

John
I am and have been, but again I’m at a hobby level and just beginning. As I’m just beginning to play with small gas engines instead of cummins engines, there are whispers of all engines being replaced by electric by 2030. Not to take this to a political place but, LOL!
I like that, I think the only thing I would change about that is a bolt on jug.
I will be messaging you too. I forgot to tell you both again that I have no rules, or regulations. I’m just playing around. Maybe that will change one day.

I forgot about junior dragsters. I didn’t know they made custom small vtwins like that. That would be perfect for an efi small go kart/racing mower that could accelerate fast enough to give me that sweet fix im looking for.

Electrification is a good thing in my world....

Here's what I get to ride whenever I want.

dsrx-gallery-5_lqlo0s.jpg

IMG_4537.jpg

And don't worry, nitromethane and alcohol will still be "alt fuels" :grin:

John

Electrification is a good thing in my world....

Here's what I get to ride whenever I want.

View attachment 469883

View attachment 469884

And don't worry, nitromethane and alcohol will still be "alt fuels" :grin:

John
I’m not saying electrics bad. I said lol due to the fact that I choose to start really getting into engines right when there are talks of attempted obsolescence.

How long to charge? How many miles per charge? Is it heavier, or lighter? I have driven Teslas, but not any electric bikes.

Here's the official numbers.

Bottom line, goes like stink and I've never run one out of charge.

It's gonna take a long time to completely phase out fossil fuel IMHO. But, having ridden a 3cyl 500cc 2 stroke in my youth I can honestly say the modern electric bikes I get to ride are more than enough for me.

There will probably always be room for enthusiasts, Jay Leno will make sure of it ;)

It's gonna take a long time to completely phase out fossil fuel IMHO. But, having ridden a 3cyl 500cc 2 stroke in my youth I can honestly say the modern electric bikes I get to ride are more than enough for me.

There will probably always be room for enthusiasts, Jay Leno will make sure of it ;)
I grew up riding all 2 stroke as well. Not 3 cylinders though. I rode kx65 then switched to a kx250 before I could touch the ground on it weighing 120 lbs.

So what did you do for work? Why were you building those engines? Why don’t you still do that?

The problem with eliminating fossil fuels is other than nuclear, which erroneously has a bad reputation, the rest of the "renewables" are not so much. The electric grid in the US will not support a full transition to electric vehicles and despite the forward leap in battery technology they are still lacking is many very important ways. Having politicians say something will not make it happen baring a forced transition back to the horse and buggy. the real answer isn't hydrogen or electric, its efficiency in much the same way we have improved the light bulb (720 lumen, incandescent=60w, Compact florescent=16w and LED=6w). the little hybrids are the answer currently; but, you have to design a new technology around those as opposed to cobbling existing tech together as they did.

The problem with eliminating fossil fuels is other than nuclear, which erroneously has a bad reputation, the rest of the "renewables" are not so much. The electric grid in the US will not support a full transition to electric vehicles and despite the forward leap in battery technology they are still lacking is many very important ways. Having politicians say something will not make it happen baring a forced transition back to the horse and buggy. the real answer isn't hydrogen or electric, its efficiency in much the same way we have improved the light bulb (720 lumen, incandescent=60w, Compact florescent=16w and LED=6w). the little hybrids are the answer currently; but, you have to design a new technology around those as opposed to cobbling existing tech together as they did.
Yes, all true. I didn’t want to go there. Even musk himself will say we aren’t ready, but I really didn’t want to go down this road.

What did you do before that you made custom engines?

Yes, all true. I didn’t want to go there. Even musk himself will say we aren’t ready, but I really didn’t want to go down this road.

What did you do before that you made custom engines?
Not going into the politics of electrification, just happy it's moving forward, wish you guys could go on a ride with me....

I got into engine building when I met another kart shop owner (constructor) named Mike Clements (RIP) at our local track PKRA. We were dominating the TaG class with an Easykart and he came out with a chassis of his own design and a 4-cycle Biland engine that gave us a run for the money. My shop was called TMS Racing and his was Heartbeat Racing, named for the fact he'd survived several heart attacks and needed to get back doing what he knew best as a former IKF Grand National Champion.

At the time we were beating former Indy 500 champ Buddy Rice who ran another local kart shop, so when Mike came out of nowhere and his driver won a race or two I took notice. Well, Mike and I got to talking and it turned out he wanted to sell his business so he could start another one under his own name which had been taken from him in a business deal gone bad. Shortly after deciding we could work together I broke my leg (actually a Giant Cell Tumor) and needed to curtail some of my trackside service business. So, I started apprenticing with Mike at his home shop in Chandler, AZ which was just a few miles from my home.

Mike taught me many things about karting, engine building, and life that I'll be forever grateful for and eventually we came to an agreement for me to purchase Heartbeat Racing Products including both chassis he designed, engine building clients and some inventory. This was around 2007 and I finally made a profit that year after starting TMS in 2004. Mike stayed on to make a smooth transition and we attended the Kartfest tradeshow in Hickory, NC for a couple of years together.

We all know what happened in 2008....

In 2009 I moved the business to Northern Michigan and diversified into outdoor power equipment with Heartbeat Power Products, LLC. I continued to run the karting business until 2010 but the bottom had really dropped out of the entire industry with so many people having to cut back, or get out of racing all together. I liquidated most of my inventory in 2015, but still have the dyno and a few other things entrusted with a close friend there.

Actually, my engine building experience goes back all the way to working at Cal Kart when I was 14. But I went into A/V, then IT, then my own businesses and eventually back to IT. Kinda have gone full circle though since I maintain equipment at an electric motorcycle company now.

Definitely a long winded explanation but it wasn't a straightforward path.

John

What did you do before that you made custom engines
For me custom engines is a hobby I have been in, hot rod/racing cars. My enjoyment comes from building engines which produce huge power naturally aspirated with as few exotic parts as possible.

I am a senior process piping/mechanical designer and I have been doing that for 40 years. I have worked on projects related to oil tooling, turbine packages, Oil & Gas (both up and down stream on and offshore), Chemical plants, Industrial compressed and Cryogenic gas systems, Aerospace (ground support for launch vehicle development) and many miscellaneous projects. I have lived both in the office and out in the field.

What is your background?

Last edited:
Back