[Newbie] LMS 5100/7350 vs. Grizzly G0602

So if you have a Sherline then you have an understanding of small. :) I have one too, and an 8 or 9" lathe will give you quite a bit more working room. I find I still use my Sherline a lot even though I also have a 9" and an 11" lathe. I make a lot of small things and find it very handy, plus I have a ton of the accessories that would be much more expensive on a larger lathe, assuming you could even find them.

I don't have any experience with the 8x16s, but from what I've found on them from reading and videos most should be equal to or better than the higher quality 7x lathes because they are not built to as tight a budget, and they are also fair bit larger and heavier. I'm not aware of another 8x16 that says they offer an inch lead screw.

As far as metric vs standard I can't see why metric wouldn't be preferred for doing metric work, but having the lead screw match the dials, is a benefit as it eliminates a source of error. Metric dials on an inch lead screw would have the same issue as inch dials on a metric lead screw.
If you go with a DRO then it really doesn't matter.
I'm not sure if any one here has one of the Weiss lathes Dro Pro sells, but there are some who have used their DROs and they seem to be one of the higher quality options. If you want to make parts in standard and metric I would think a DRO is a good option, so you don't have to make conversions to the measurements, just push a button. I don't have a DRO on any of my machines. I like the idea but it is down a way on my list of things to do.

So if you have a Sherline then you have an understanding of small. :) I have one too, and an 8 or 9" lathe will give you quite a bit more working room. I find I still use my Sherline a lot even though I also have a 9" and an 11" lathe. I make a lot of small things and find it very handy, plus I have a ton of the accessories that would be much more expensive on a larger lathe, assuming you could even find them.

I don't have any experience with the 8x16s, but from what I've found on them from reading and videos most should be equal to or better than the higher quality 7x lathes because they are not built to as tight a budget, and they are also fair bit larger and heavier. I'm not aware of another 8x16 that says they offer an inch lead screw.

As far as metric vs standard I can't see why metric wouldn't be preferred for doing metric work, but having the lead screw match the dials, is a benefit as it eliminates a source of error. Metric dials on an inch lead screw would have the same issue as inch dials on a metric lead screw.
If you go with a DRO then it really doesn't matter.
I'm not sure if any one here has one of the Weiss lathes Dro Pro sells, but there are some who have used their DROs and they seem to be one of the higher quality options. If you want to make parts in standard and metric I would think a DRO is a good option, so you don't have to make conversions to the measurements, just push a button. I don't have a DRO on any of my machines. I like the idea but it is down a way on my list of things to do.
The Sherline is pretty good at small. It’s just too limiting for me. I will probably hang on to it because you are right it would be better at really small than the bigger lathes.
The Weiss lathes are interesting. They seem to be manufactured by Sumore from my research. Sumore is saying they are going to direct sell in the US shortly. May just be the 7 x lathes though.
I wish the WM210 lathes where higher quality. I like the larger spindle bore.

It seems DRO Pro doesn’t sell machines anymore because of the tariffs. That sucks I’m back to looking again.

It seems DRO Pro doesn’t sell machines anymore because of the tariffs. That sucks I’m back to looking again.

How odd, you would think they would put something on the website. That could explain why I don't see their ads on Craigslist anymore though. Don't know what your time frame is but the tariff issue could change in the next couple months.

Could also take it as a sign to just hold off and figure out how to get a PM1022 into your space. The difference between the Grizzly G602 and G4000 doesn't seem to be that big to me, but the PM1022 is definitely another class of machine which is why it costs so much more. It also comes with a lot more tooling.

Hopefully things will get better with our China relations. I keep thinking about the PM. Even they say late February or March. If I’m going to the trouble to lift a heavier lathe I don’t want to cheap out. (I keep telling myself to justify lol)

How odd, you would think they would put something on the website. That could explain why I don't see their ads on Craigslist anymore though. Don't know what your time frame is but the tariff issue could change in the next couple months.

Could also take it as a sign to just hold off and figure out how to get a PM1022 into your space. The difference between the Grizzly G602 and G4000 doesn't seem to be that big to me, but the PM1022 is definitely another class of machine which is why it costs so much more. It also comes with a lot more tooling.
The only thing I see different between the PM1022 and the G0602 is power cross feed and AXA on the PM, they are pretty much the same after that.
The G0602 has a bigger 4 jaw.
And $700.

Bigger than 9" is more than you want for almost anything home shop oriented. If your happy place is pens, you want smaller and FAST.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Hopefully things will get better with our China relations. I keep thinking about the PM. Even they say late February or March. If I’m going to the trouble to lift a heavier lathe I don’t want to cheap out. (I keep telling myself to justify lol)

Going with one of the smaller easier (and cheaper) lathes makes sense from a good enough for now, and maybe good enough for the long term. Not a huge effort to move in, and similarly fairly easy to offload down the road if you do find yourself wanting something bigger. If you go bigger, with what sounds like it would be quite an effort to get it into your shop, you want to get it right the first time.
To me this means a 7-9" now (or as soon as available), or take the time to increase the budget and figure out how to get a little bit bigger and heavier (maybe have to hire some muscle / equipment). You sound like you are kind of on the fence about 8-9" being big enough.

I'm not pushing bigger, I have several lathes (I may have a problem ;) ), from a Sherline to an 11x24. That 11x24 was quite the ordeal getting into the shop, and it is going to be just as much fun to remove it to move in something else if I out grow it. So far the Sherline still gets the bulk of the work, although my latest acquisition may challenge it.

The only thing I see different between the PM1022 and the G0602 is power cross feed and AXA on the PM, they are pretty much the same after that.
The G0602 has a bigger 4 jaw.
And $700.

The PM1022 is a true 10" swing, the G0602 is 9-1/2"
PM is a variable speed, vs belts, and it has a reversing gear.
It has a flange style chuck mount instead of a threaded spindle (a concern to some when running in reverse). I'm not a fan of the flange style and if the G0602 had a common thread, I might even consider it an advantage, but 1-3/4-8 is not particularly common.
There is the power cross feed you mention, and the PM has an inch lead screw instead of metric with inch dials so is marginally more accurate if used without a DRO.
PM has a slightly longer travel on the tail stock quill (3" vs 2-1/2").
The 1022 comes with an AXA QCTP and 5 holders, I paid $175 for this size from Little Machine Shop, PM charges $150 for theirs.

The G602 has a larger swing over the cross slide, 6-1/8" vs 5"
Longer travel for the cross slide 6-1/2" vs 5"
A slightly longer travel on the compound 3-1/2" vs 3".
The G0602 has a wider bed 6-1/8" vs 5" which could result in better rigidity.

Both can be ordered with a DRO installed.

The PM offers 58 threads (37 inch, 21 metric), the G0602 offers 57 (31 inch and 26 metric) so similar, but the advantage could go to either depending on whether you prefer to work in inch or metric.

Not saying the G0602 is a piece, but the PM does offer more and a lot of the added cost is clearly shown where it comes from, power cross feed, reverse gear, variable speed and a QCTP easily accounts for $700.

Grizzly has a variable speed version of the 10x22 (G0752) and it costs $800 more than the G0602 with no other apparent advantages.

Last edited:
In the end I ended up buying a LMS 5100 last night. I’m hoping I won’t outgrow it quickly. I also ordered the components to build a touchDRO/Shahe DRO on it. I used to repair electronics so I’m looking forward to using my soldering tools again and gaining some machining skills.

Back