Logan Powermatic #2

Re: Logan Powermatic

My PM 12" went to a new home today. I'll probably keep the 11"

Re: Logan Powermatic

So far I really like my 11". I've really enjoyed cleaning it up and getting it running. Still need to install the DRO I got for it and I'm thinking of adding a rear splash guard or shield. Where my other lathe sits there is an oil spray pattern on the wall. Plus I'm always getting chips on everything behind it. You know of any rear splash guards available anywhere? If I can't find one I'll wind up making one.

Hello I realize that this an old thread, but perhaps you can help me figure out what is going on with my lathe. It is a Logan Powermatic 1110011-LOOH model, the last year they were made under that name. I have not been able to find a manual (I bought what I thought it was in Ebay, but what came was a proper cover and title page and the rest was referring to much older lathes) The link to Sterling Machinery was broken and the on their site now there are no references to selling manuals. We had it up and running with a static phase converter (not a vfc or rfc) and evidently the lack of true 3 phase power burned out the magnetic switch. We are going to try to repower with a VFC and use the controls on the drive. Will the brake still work if I bypass the native controls? Do you know of any other source for the manual? Thanks in advance
Thomas Moseley
Vermont

Ok, I’ve got the magnetic switch if you need it. That is if you’re not going 3phase. If you use a vfd, the vfd will have a low voltage control section to wire in all the controls on the lathe. As for the brake, the only brake on the lathe was a manual one that had leather pads that when you pressed down on the brake lever it rubbed against the drive spindle gear. If you install a VFD, you can set the stop time as well as the start up time. I loved mine till the VFD went out and I replaced it w a standard Dayton 230v motor. It took a while to get used to the instant on. Also the VFD gives you better speed control. The problem I had is that I bought a Chinese VFD. The instructions are in chinglish and at times confusing. Go w a good US made VFD and you won’t have problems. They do cost more though. Any other questions?

Go to www.lathe.com
That is the Logan Actuator company owned by Scott Logan, the heir to Logan Lathe Co. Even though our lathes were made by Powermatic, Scott has parts for them and a manual. Remember he is running a business so buy some parts from him and you’ll find he’ll have time to answer your questions. Get the manual and a price list. The manual has schematics and part numbers, the price list has his current prices listed by part numbers.

I have been browsing the forums and have generated a couple of questions about my: 1) my 11" 1983 Logan Powermatic ,model 1110008L00H has a number of deficits: the feed screw was bent by some previous owner. I have located one that seems right, but wondered if anyone knows whether the 48" lead screw from an earlier 11" Logan would be the same as the Powermatic. I am assuming a straight used one would be better than a straighten(ed) one in terms of accuracy. 2) I read a long thread about the bearings in the headstock, their expense, special characteristics and a couple of same size substitutes and how expensive they were. I don't have the dimensions of what is in there as the parts book I have doesn't quite correspond to the machine I have which has 2 front bearings and one rear vs only two total. I am loath to tear it down without being sure I can find something that can work. I have an email into Scott at Logan, but haven't heard back. Any pearls about possible substitutes?

Thanks in advance
Thomas Moseley

I took the old bearings out and took them to a bearing shop and they looked up the replacement bearings for me.(the ones I took out had been discontinued. Mine had the two in front and one at the rear. Scott sells the manuals that have the part schematics with part numbers and a price list of the parts. I bought the internal bushing from Scott Logan.

Back