Looking for opinions on a belt grinder for lathe tools

I think you should make one like Jeromy Schmidt did. You can find his videos and get complete plans from him if you need them. A beautifully designed 2x72. He recently put one out that has improvements to the original. He did it W/O most machine tools but it would be easier with a mill. Find it here >>>
Now THAT sounds like a plan I can follow!!
Anyone else on here build one yet?
Will have to check that out.
What motor does he suggest one shoiuld use?

I have it, modified the platen, and added the pyrex glass to it. I have not had any issues other than pushing the belt out of alignment with certain operations, I also use ceramic belts

I bought the Jet 2x42 just about 3yr ago for $524. I like it and it works great for shaping and sharpening my HSS lathe bits. Much better IMO than using any of my bench grinders.
I did replace the platen, like so many other people. That wasn't too difficult and I think there is a very detailed description of that on this board somewhere. Also available on this board are very good recommendations for the type of belt to use. Poke around and you will find great information.

The Jet sander may look the same as Chinese clones but it is built in Taiwan and is of better quality, much like so many other Jet tools. Do not equate that Jet tool to the stuff sold by Sears and others.

A 2X72 is a vastly better grinder but you have to factor in the cost of materials and a motor. Depending on your resources, this can easily double the cost of the Jet sander. If you mainly intend to grind HSS tools with it and do a little fabrication on the side then the Jet is a good choice. If you are a maker/fabricator or intend to grind knives then a 2X72 is a far better choice.

As always, what you intend to do with the machine should dictate your choices.

In my experience, Jet brand tools have been unreasonably expensive versions of import tools identical to less expensive ones. That seems a high price tag for what it is. I would recommend looking around;
When I retired from the trade 20 years ago, no self-respecting machine shop would buy Jet tools except for a short-term, disposable solution. Imagine my surprise when I started looking at tools again and found that Jet was now considered the good stuff. I couldn't tell for sure if their stuff had come up or the bar had just been lowered.

Per the Amazon site, the Jet weighs 60 lbs and has a 3/4HP motor vs. Palmgren at 35 lbs. with a 1/3HP motor. They have similar speeds and the same warranty. Not apples to apples.

A few of us here have built that grinder. About $1000 depending on motor/VFD combo. I couldn’t be happier with the end result. It’s not that difficult to build even if you are a horrible welder. There is an excellent video tutorial. Plus I like supporting dudes like Brian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I own 4 pieces of JET machinery including a belt/disc combination sander, I have no complaints about any of them.

When I retired from the trade 20 years ago, no self-respecting machine shop would buy Jet tools except for a short-term, disposable solution. Imagine my surprise when I started looking at tools again and found that Jet was now considered the good stuff. I couldn't tell for sure if their stuff had come up or the bar had just been lowered.
I couldn't tell you... I just joined the club a few years ago and it was like this when I got here. I suspect marketing played a role? If it was like this 20 years ago, nothing's changed with the quality of the product, just public perception. So, I'm pretty sure marketing is the only explanation.

Back