Looking for opinions on a belt grinder for lathe tools

I own 4 pieces of JET machinery including a belt/disc combination sander, I have no complaints about any of them.
I have used Jet brand equipment at work, and I also have no complaints, but the thing is, when I decided I wanted to have at home the same thing I had at work, I paid half what my employer did, and got the same exact thing. Most commercial outfits would not have a Craftsman brand tool in their shop because that's "weekend warrior" gear. But they DO have craftsman stuff, just with a "JET" sticker applied for a hefty premium.

Same with other brands. Quite a few years ago I was at the woodworking show in Atlanta. I needed a bigger edgesander. Looked at the Grizzel and just down the aisle was the Powermatic. Identical except for color and price. The PM was nearly double the price. Both were Chinese made.

I couldn't tell you... I just joined the club a few years ago and it was like this when I got here. I suspect marketing played a role? If it was like this 20 years ago, nothing's changed with the quality of the product, just public perception. So, I'm pretty sure marketing is the only explanation.
One of the big things that changed perception, is that the major competitor Delta went under and sold to a Chinese group. So Jet became the next best thing. I bought a made in USA Delta band saw, and It was a basket case. Wheels that were not true, wobbled back and forth, castings that twisted away from alignment. A support bar that when you lowered it or raised it changed the blades squareness and you had to re-adjust the guides and rear bearing. So spending almost twice to buy American over Chinese or Taiwan and get crap... it was a painful lesson. I could go on.

So, what will a motor set me back If I build this.
Perhaps I could use the moto from my current Tool Shop sander?
The steel, welding and machine work will not be an issue, There are places around here I can get drops for a decent price.

The steel, welding and machine work will not be an issue, There are places around here I can get drops for a decent price.
I've had this model for 3 years and it is well balanced and sturdy: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Belt-Grinder-2x72-Complete-Chassis-/252059068108?hash=item3aafe426cc . Made in USA and well constructed. Their web site offers a lot of options,also. https://originblademaker.com/product-category/belt-grinders/

We picked up an older delta 6x48 belt with 12 in disk sander at estate sale for 200.00.

Very well built.

At the maintenance shop for local fire agency they have IDENTICAL unit, stand is different but machine parts same.

Label is JET.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

You can get a beat up single phase 1/2 HP motor on ebay for $20. Or spend $300 on a brand new three phase 2 HP motor, and another $150 on a VFD. (Just be sure to get a totally enclosed motor, you don't want something that will pull grindings through the windings). So it depends on what you want to do. Buy one, new or used, if you want a belt grinder. Build one if you want a project.

3 phase is out as I only have single phase in my shop.
Does this fellow suggest a HP range to use in this build?

Back