Looking for opinions on a belt grinder for lathe tools

Made in USA and well constructed.
The full complete machine at $2300, w/o attachments gets me into the "I'll make Jerome's line of thinking." But it will take quite a lot of work and probably $1000 in parts and pieces. The result is a hell for stout, more adjustable machine. As most of us on this site have machining capabilities far greater than what Jerome had to make his, it should be a lot easier for us. His videos have excellent step by step procedures.

3 phase is out as I only have single phase in my shop.
Does this fellow suggest a HP range to use in this build?
If you want a variable speed unit, desirable sometimes, use a 3 phase motor and a VFD. 3 phase motors are better than single phase also. I think a common motor size is 2 HP for fairly serious work. But I suspect less will work. Don't use an open motor.

3 phase is out as I only have single phase in my shop.
Does this fellow suggest a HP range to use in this build?
In the up to 3 HP range it is very easy to get a VFD that will take 220V single phase in and put out 3 phase 220V. Up to 1 HP you can even get them that take 120V single phase in, and put out 220V 3 phase. This is a useful option if you like the idea of variable speed, or just like all the bells and whistles.

I've seen recommendations for 1/2 HP at the low end and 1.5 HP being the high end for a 2x72.

I bought a made in USA Delta band saw, and It was a basket case.
When I first started woodworking, I bought a new Rockwell Delta14" bandsaw. Bad idea. It was under powered for cutting wooden toys. The blade guides made with pot metal and broke easily. The motor was mounted to a piece of sheet metal and vibrated like crazy. The pot metal motor pulley soon broke, then the spot welds on the driven pulley failed. The motor failed. The belt fell apart in the first 6 months. Those saws originally had hex guide posts but they went on the cheap and used round that didn't maintain alignment but they still used the hex die casting. The die cast trunnions would bind when you tried to tilt the table. The blade tension scale was worthless. Other than those things, it could be used as a kit to make a bandsaw.

1hp per inch of width is the rule of thumb. 1HP is as low as I’d go for a 2x72

VFD is a must. I run a 6in drive wheel and rarely go above 70%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would this be a good candidate for a motor??

1643923902894.png

Anybody??
You asked if it’s good. How good is good enough? 1HP is generally considered a little light, but not bad. A single phase doesn’t accommodate a vfd speed control, so that is a minus. To me a show stopper is that it doesn’t appear to be a c-face, i.e, not meant to bolt up to something at the shaft end. This one appears to only be a base mount, so it wouldn’t work with typical belt sander designs.

It is also not reversible. I don’t know what the motor convention on CWvs CCw is (from the motor perspective or the opposite side of the shaft). But most belt grinder designs need a certain direction to come down the platten face.

Worst thing about it "Made in China."
Chinese motors have a pretty poor track record.
Full load amps 15/7.5 If you intend to run this on 120 volts you will have to have a 20 amp circuit, 12 gage wire.

Thanks Guys, exactly the kind of feedback this old, retired trucker is looking for as I know nothing much about the electrical end of sander/grinder equipment and really appreciate the opinions and advise from folks on this site

Judging from what I have read so far on this topic it's beginning to look like the motor end of a grinder build will be well into the $300-$500 range then,

Back