Loupes or magnifiers for lathe work

kmanuele

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
When working with small parts, I have trouble seeing details near the chuck center, and its unsafe to get in close enough to see. Shiny parts, like brass, make it worse.

Does anyone here use loupes,or magnifying glasses, or could offer suggestions?

thanks

Kevin

I use a 10x loupe that has a spring wire that goes around my head so I don't have to hold it. The depth of field is extremely narrow and it's nice to have my hands free to line up the part with one and hold a flashlight with the other. 10x needs a lot of light especially on a shiny surface like when reading the size off a small drill bit.

I have safety glasses that are essentially bifocals. most of the lens is just clear, but the lower section has a 1.75 magnifier in it. They look similar to these:

IMG_3668.jpeg

Helps me to see the dials and I can get close enough for a magnified look at the work without having to get too close.

Side bonus is I‘m always wearing safety glasses in the shop as they work everywhere I need to work.

And they were only a few bucks more than standard safety glasses…

I have the same safety glasses as above but for whatever reason I can’t get used to them. If I need to see better than my reading glasses is use a optivisor or jewelers goggles. I like that they are easy to flip up and down. I also have all over the shop on key machines where light is critical LED sewing machine lights. With their magnetic base high powered light and small head they are perfect.
1694545893931.jpeg

I have safety glasses that are essentially bifocals. most of the lens is just clear, but the lower section has a 1.75 magnifier in it. They look similar to these:

View attachment 459638

Helps me to see the dials and I can get close enough for a magnified look at the work without having to get too close.

Side bonus is I‘m always wearing safety glasses in the shop as they work everywhere I need to work.

And they were only a few bucks more than standard safety glasses…

I use something similar, but not bi-focal, just safety reading glasses. They cost about the same as regular safety glasses.

Back