Loupes or magnifiers for lathe work

When you get your eyes checked for glasses, either at regular insurance place or the advertised cheap places, the phrase to use is "occupational glasses", this translates into special use and it seems they understand this.

What you need to do is MEASURE stuff...

In our case, we have 2 bnches upstairs, one for clock work and one for electronics.

Clocks are up close, electronics have things not so close, but the computer screen is up on the top corner of the each and we need to be able to focus on it, we also have our normal glasses we use there for the normal work.

You get comfortable in your working position, place whatever it is you work on in the normal place, then measure from the bridge of your nose to the thing you work on.

Then, ask the examiner to place the book card at that distance and dial in your vision.

Now ask to add magnification.

As you add this, your depth of field gets smaller, but boy, does it make a difference!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Thanks. About due for a checkup anyway. I'll ask her about this.

I've already had a set of bifocals made that, when standing at my workbench, the whole range of front edge to back is in focus without tipping my head or bending over. These also are perfect when sitting at my computer.

Thanks. About due for a checkup anyway. I'll ask her about this.

I've already had a set of bifocals made that, when standing at my workbench, the whole range of front edge to back is in focus without tipping my head or bending over. These also are perfect when sitting at my computer.
This is what I showed my ophthalmologist & optician so I could see the keyboard, main screens and top screen (email) with just slightly moving head:

IMG_6433.jpeg
I went with the multi-functional lenses rather than progressive.

I’d love to have a pair (or two) of actual safety glasses with a similar grind, but I’m afraid of what the cost would be so for now am happy with these 2.5 full-readers:

IMG_6434.jpeg

This is what I showed my ophthalmologist & optician so I could see the keyboard, main screens and top screen (email) with just slightly moving head:

View attachment 471009

I’d love to have a pair (or two) of actual safety glasses with a similar grind, but I’m afraid of what the cost would be so for now am happy with these 2.5 full-readers:

View attachment 471012
Yeah. I would have to "manage" the eye docs, who would automatically set the reading part of the bifocal as if I was holding a book. I said no, I need to read the top and bottom of a document/drawing lying flat on my desk without lifting the document or moving my head. Gave them distance measurements, and they got it right. Works on my workbench too. So far, bifocals, but I suspect tri-focals are in my future.

View attachment 471009

View attachment 471012
I've just got a couple of pairs of these, one pair in 2.0 and one pair in 1.5 and they're great.

Back