Loupes or magnifiers for lathe work

I have a magnifying glass mounted on flex line and a magnet. I use this when cutting small threads.
It wor,s great for me

I have safety glasses that are essentially bifocals. most of the lens is just clear, but the lower section has a 1.75 magnifier in it. They look similar to these:

View attachment 459638

Helps me to see the dials and I can get close enough for a magnified look at the work without having to get too close.

Side bonus is I‘m always wearing safety glasses in the shop as they work everywhere I need to work.

And they were only a few bucks more than standard safety glasses…
same here mine are 1.5
but I also have 3.0 reading glasses. I like them better than both magnifiers that I have with lights. I find them hard to work with, but the 3.0 reading glasses are great... my lighted magnifiers are 3.0 and 5.0 so the 3.0 mag and readers are the same ... except the readers work better because they are on my head.

edit: scroll saw guys told me not to bother with the magnifier just use the readers... They were right.

Use a lighted magnifier like this on eacj of my lathes. https://www.amazon.com/Realspace-Cl...pcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A1379ABOPH9TNZ

For very detailed work, I also ise either a 10x or 20x handheld loupe.

Same here.

I’m working on making some type of vision system out of one of those borescope camera setups.

I have the vevor system and it works for the most part. The problem being that I either need the camera to be danger close and in the way to see or if it’s safely out of the way the image on the screen is 1:1 with what I see normally.

I guess I could stuff my face onto the screen, but then I would probably go cross eyed.

Last edited:
I use one similar to the one RJSakowski linked to. I have mounting bases all over the shop and move the light to wherever it's needed. It spends most of the time on the drill sharpener since I'm near sighted and generally don't turn things small enough to need the magnifier on the lathe.

Attachments

• DSC09987.JPG
    DSC09987.JPG
    490.9 KB · Views: 16
I have safety glasses that are essentially bifocals. most of the lens is just clear, but the lower section has a 1.75 magnifier in it. They look similar to these:

View attachment 459638

Helps me to see the dials and I can get close enough for a magnified look at the work without having to get too close.

Side bonus is I‘m always wearing safety glasses in the shop as they work everywhere I need to work.

And they were only a few bucks more than standard safety glasses…

I tried these, but they made me stumble around. Different floor heights and stairs were a problem especially.

I hope to get a pair of occupational lenses some day.

Like this, but in reverse so you can see the details with your head tilted down.

Basically reverse bifocals.

I have the same safety glasses as above but for whatever reason I can’t get used to them. If I need to see better than my reading glasses is use a optivisor or jewelers goggles. I like that they are easy to flip up and down. I also have all over the shop on key machines where light is critical LED sewing machine lights. With their magnetic base high powered light and small head they are perfect.
View attachment 459639

I have these, phenomenal. Their light, no band to make your head sweat so you can wear them like glasses or use the minimalist strap that is included, and the light is bright and rechargeable.

Back