Mentor needed as well as help on a school project!

Ok, I'm only just now trying to familiarize myself with this project. So I am totally unaware of how the overall thing goes together or actually works yet. So far I'm just looking at the individual parts to see what it might take to machine them.

I haven't run across a full assembly drawing yet. That would be nice to look at. It would also help me organize the parts. Because right now I'm not even sure how the parts are going to go together with each other. The closest thing I have to an assembly drawing right now is the picture I posted in post #13 of this thread.

I'm going through the drawings from the ReCurta project one at a time and I haven't seen a completed assembly drawing yet. That would be nice to have on hand.

the assembly drawings are part numbers 102xx and are part of the original drawings.

I don't have any files named 102xx I only have files that go up to 101xx

Are these PDF files?

I relooked at your repository and I also looked at the ReCurta GitHub site. I can't find any files number 102xx

Ok, they are doing everything with CNC machines and Laser Cutting. You won't need a lathe if you're going to go that route.

I thought you were going to build this thing the old-fashioned way. Me bad.

I was about to tell you that when you're done with this project you'll be a machining genius.

But if you go the CNC and Laser Cutting route all you'll be is a button-pusher. :grin:

The computers will do all the machining for you.

You won't need me for that.

You just need access to a CNC machine and a Laser Cutter.

Oh no I want to do it the old fashioned way im just saying that is how they PROPOSE it be done, it can be done on a lathe or mill and thats how im going to do it.

Oh no I want to do it the old fashioned way im just saying that is how they PROPOSE it be done, it can be done on a lathe or mill and thats how im going to do it.

Well, if you take this on, when you're done you will have gained a lifetime of machining experience in the span of about a year to be sure.

It's not a simple project, but you're the one who chose it. So you'll have no one to blame but yourself for the torture you are about to endure. :grin:

Im prepared for pain and torture! Also an opinion, a lathe is currently a bit past my budget, I could get a drill press, fit a mill base onto it, vice, and rotary table, will that work for the project?

Im prepared for pain and torture! Also an opinion, a lathe is currently a bit past my budget, I could get a drill press, fit a mill base onto it, vice, and rotary table, will that work for the project?

It's hard to say for sure. I'm only just now trying to familiarize myself with the overall build.

Because of the small size of the parts, and because you can make most of them from aluminum or brass, a drill press with an x-y vice might work for the milling. A rotary table is typically quite expensive. You could probably makeshift a homemade rotary table that would suffice.

I'm not sure how well a drill press could do the lathe turning though. To begin with the drill chuck wouldn't be large enough to hold some of the larger workpieces. And then there's the question of how you would hold the lathe tool and be able to move it accurately over the work to turn it.

Turning a drill press into a makeshift mill = doable. Especially for teeny parts like these.

Turning a drill press into a makeshift lathe = much more difficult.

What about your High School shop? Could you obtain access to that?

Back