Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

Mikey,
Many thanks, as always, for the refresher course on honing. After spending the whole covid summer holding my day job and a lot of employees together from my shop/turned office, free time is returning. So I'm freshening up some of my tools and making a couple of new ones. No matter how well I think I've metabolized your writing, seeing it in fresh words is always a new opportunity!

Tim

You're welcome, Tim. Take care of yourself and remember to keep your flats, flat. As @mickri always reminds us, sharp tools cut better.

Haven't had a chance to use it yet.
Been pretty busy this week trucking and we are leaving on a trip to MO thursday.
I did buy an original 6" SB dog/face plate though that, at least hop should look like it belongs on the lathe!!

I’d love to get the model tools when they are free.

I admit I haven’t read _everything_ in the 44 pages here, but I started with Mikey’s instructions and ground my first bit yesterday, for aluminum with the big rake. Took me a long time, made one big mistake and uncounted small ones and the result is a pretty ugly tool which leaves a very nice finish but can’t take a deep cut. Something to work on tomorrow. I needed a new hobby to escape the news and this is it.

Send me a PM with your contact info and I’ll get a set of tool models headed your way.

I admit I haven’t read _everything_ in the 44 pages here, but I started with Mikey’s instructions and ground my first bit yesterday, for aluminum with the big rake. Took me a long time, made one big mistake and uncounted small ones and the result is a pretty ugly tool which leaves a very nice finish but can’t take a deep cut. Something to work on tomorrow. I needed a new hobby to escape the news and this is it.

When you're ready, show us some pics. Maybe we can help.

In a recent thread by @Darkbluesky, http://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...tools-ideas-of-what-to-buy.62043/#post-511618, @ttabbal joked about sending me blanks to be ground into lathe tools ... he was joking! But it got me to thinking ... yeah, I know it's not a good thing when Mikey gets to thinking ... but it got me thinking that reading about how a tool is ground and having a decent tool in your hands that you can see and touch are two different things.

So, what if I ground a set of tools from 3/8" mild steel keystock (just to discourage some bozo from actually trying to cut something with the models) so people could hold it in their hands to look at. You could use them to plop onto your tool rest to see what the rest angles should be and maybe how your hands have to align to grind the tool. You could also buy some keystock and duplicate them for a permanent reference, and then pass them on to the next guy who wants to have a look.

I'm thinking of making THREE sets of these model tools and mailing them out to guys who are interested. We would need to figure out a list if there are more than three guys interested in seeing them, and YOU GUYS need to sort out how to keep track of these things. I would guess one to two weeks of holding time per person would be reasonable and the guy who has them would pay to flat rate ship it to the next guy on the list. Naturally, the only guys who can get on the list would be members of the HM forum.

As to which tools to include in the set, I'll leave that to you guys. We can discuss it here and see if we can come to some consensus. I will probably write a set of notes with details on how each tool is ground and why the angles are what they are and how you can modify them to better suit your needs; these notes would be posted to this thread.

I don't know if this is of interest to anyone but on the off chance that it is, let's talk about this and see if we can make it real. I'll spring for the keystock, grind the models and send them out. After that, you guys need to sort out how to get them distributed. The last guy on the list can hang onto them until some other HM member contacts them or you can send it back to me so I can do the same.

Let me be very clear about one more thing. The models will be of tools as I grind them for use in my shop on my lathe(s). It is one way, not necessarily the right way or the only way. My hope is that it will help you to find your own way of grinding tools that work for you.

Thoughts?

Mikey

That has to be one of the coolest idea ever.... Your a good person Mikey..!
I didn't read all 44 pages I skimmed a bunch, I like helping people if I can but this is above and beyond... Very nice..!

Thanks, Mike, but this thread involves the input from a lot of folks and it isn't just me. Jump in and we'll try to give you any help we can.

Reactions: tjb
Lots of great info here on HSS , is there a thread like this for carbide tool bit sharpening ? I have plenty the came with my lathe and some in a tool box I bought , most with chipped tips , .

Lots of great info here on HSS , is there a thread like this for carbide tool bit sharpening ? I have plenty the came with my lathe and some in a tool box I bought , most with chipped tips , .

You mean the brazed carbide tools that are all over the place? The type you can't swap the insert on. Those you could do mostly the same stuff, but it would be much more difficult to shape them. You're mostly going to hone them. You could probably work the chips out with a diamond wheel, but it would be pretty slow going I would think. I've never tried it though. If I want carbide, I use inserts.

If you try it, do some research. I seem to remember reading that carbide grinding dust is bad for your health. That could just be in my head though.

Back