Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

... Be aware of your edges, learn how they work and how to use them to your advantage. I suspect most hobby guys can learn a lot by studying how a tool cuts.
To learn how tools cut and then to use that understanding to my advantage was one of my motives for getting into machining. Cutting is a core technology.

In 2017, I visited a cousin in Tokyo. She took me to a dessert shop and bought me a piece of cake that had many layers. I admired how well the piece had been cut: no displacement of the layers relative to each others and no apparent smearing of the layers. She explained that it had been cut with a very sharp knife.

I've slightly rounded the leading and trailing edges, just so it can't damage the sanding belt. Maybe just a bit on the sides to keep from hurting my fingers if I slip.

I've slightly rounded the leading and trailing edges, just so it can't damage the sanding belt. Maybe just a bit on the sides to keep from hurting my fingers if I slip.
Any thing to get the glue to stick ?

I can't recall if I did this or not ... but I do have a very fine grit sandblaster (bought from somebody who made dental castings) and might possibly have added some "tooth" to the rear surface. A thorough cleaning should be enough, however.

I also grind the top, bottom and side edges to smooth it out. I then used some 120 grit sandpaper to lightly scuff the glass and the plate it mounts to, then blew it clean and wiped several times with acetone. I used JB Weld and used multiple spring clamps to hold it down until it dried. Next time, I'll use masking tape instead.

If i showed a picture of a tool that was ground from a previous owner that came with my watch makers lathe could someone identify maybe what it could have been ground to cut? ie brass, aluminum, steel?

I do believe we have experts in house, and the picture would help immensely in the evaluation... :)

Back