Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

try making an oversize tool out of wood to check its shape and profile......

I hope it will, I went back to your HSS thread, and some research on the bit it's self, I took a WAG on how to shape it, and wow, that's some hard stuff. I'm not sure my 80 grit CBN wheel is still 80 grit, and I need to change my ceramic belt too. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Z2V
I have the same stuff. If I remember correctly, you don't cool the tool, if you do it can breakdown from the shock.
Look it up to be sure.

What do you intend to use it for, material wise? I may not be the best choice of tool bit.

From Wesson's website: see attached pdf from their catalog about grinding this is a snippet.
tatung.jpg

Attachments

• tatung_grinding.pdf
    63.6 KB · Views: 13
Thanks WC I did see that, good information.
I am changing a bell housing that was intended for a twin sintered iron disc, and floater, back to a std depth can, and will have to shorten the input shaft. The company said I should try to cut it myself, they do it all the time :cautious: I'm worried about the splines being an interrupted cut though. I do have 431, and 432 CNMG bits to try also.

I went as deep as .080 DOC in 1.250 4130 bar stock @ 300 rpm, the feed rate might be off, I did not have time to play with it. I did notice that ~1/4 to 3/8" off of the bar it stayed a straw color, and then turned a dark blue, this was with no mist coolant.

I actually watched his video last night. It’s a very good instructional video.
The grinding jig/holder is slick. It would surely be easier than free hand. That said, if you take your time and refer back to the pictures in the South Bend instruction book ( how to use a lathe) , it’s really not hard to grind your tooling fee hand. Like Mr Pete says multiple times…. There’s a lot of leeway in the angles. You don’t need any special tools to grind a useable hss cutting tool.

Back