Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

What grit are you using on the belt sander? A light touch on the belt sander also helps keep the grooves to a minimum.

What grit are you using on the belt sander? A light touch on the belt sander also helps keep the grooves to a minimum.
It's been awhile, don't remember. I'll be trying to grind a tool tomorrow. I have a 60 & 80 grit ceramic belt, and I think a 100 grit alumina. Have a couple more belts, but don't remember what they are. I don't think I have anything fine like 300...

Edit: When I bought my ceramic belts they didn't offer fine grits higher than 100. Now they do offer them up to 400. The alumina belts I have are not very good. Like the ceramic grits a lot better.

Last edited:
I didn't read through all 175 pages, but has anyone tried solid modeling something in CAD that can be 3d printed? Just as a physical example that could be used as a guide.

It might be easier for someone just starting out to download and print a set with the correct geometry, than trying to grind out an example the first time from keystock or wood.

Last edited:
My main belt is an 80 grit ceramic. I also have a coarser belt for hogging off metal on a new grind. It might 36 grit. Once I have the basic shape I then switch to the 80 grit. And if I want a finer finish I then go to the 300 grit. Rarely use the leather strop.

Ken226 I haven't heard of anybody 3d printing a tool bit. Mikey would know that. Lots of people have made models out of wood or key stock. There was even a set of models made out of key stock that were making the rounds. Don't know whatever happened to those.

I didn't read through all 175 pages, but has anyone tried solid modeling something in CAD that can be 3d printed? Just as a physical example that could be used as a guide.
I think there have been a couple of folks that have done this, or at least tried.

I was playing around with this today, and confusing myself with 3d geometry. I'll figure it out, but this afternoon was temporarily confused about doing the datum plane rotations and translations. Found the tools a lot easier to grind in real life than modeling them in 3d!

It might be easier for someone just starting out to download and print a set with the correct geometry, than trying to grind out an example the first time from keystock or wood.
There are examples ground on key stock floating around.
just request an example be sent to you.

There are examples ground on key stock floating around.
just request an example be sent to you.

I've had my own for a long time. Just thought I'd try the challenge of modeling one in CAD.

Not everyone has a 3D printer.....
Or can use a CAD program......

No, not everyone. For those that do and find it helpful, maybe its worth the effort. Maybe not. But, it only costs a few minutes and a small amount of internet bandwidth.

There are many services online these days that let you upload a cad file, will 3d print models and mail them to a customer for a modest fee. Also, many who don't have a 3d printer may have friends who do and can simply download a file and have a friend print it for them.

For those that don't, or don't find it helpful, or have no interest, this post may not be for them. I won't force anyone to read any of my posts :).

There is a downloadable .stl file of the above model attached to this post. Inch dimensions, so for most slicer programs you'll have to convert it to metric.

Attachments

• HSS Tool.stl
    4.4 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back