More of the white death on its way .

Here in the Portland (Oregon) area, we rarely get snow. Therefore all it takes is one snow flake to be seen in the metro area and traffic seizes up because everyone freaks out.

I've done a lot of snow skiing so I know how to drive in the stuff, but when 99.9% of the drivers around you have been reduced to idiocy by sighting that one flake, it's best to hide out until the mayhem has died down some. And that may happen soon....a lobe of that super-cold air is coming our way.
Having grown up in Virginia, traveled(?) to the South Pole, and lived a winter in SLC, I think I deserve a little warm weather in my old age. I agree with "Homebrewed" in dealing with snowflakes and people that don't know how to drive. I recall from my childhood when a neighbor had built a snow blower on a "deuce and a half" that wasn't able to clear the highway over the Blue Ridge from Charlottesville. (US 250) I also remember a few years back when the state of Pennsylvania had a sign at the state line saying "Closed for the Winter". And of course, the "Blizzard of '93" when Birmingham got 18" (M/L) and shut down the city for almost a week.

It's called "weather", folks. Some years are warm and some are cold. Some years it rains and some years it snows. The best solution in the deep south to snow is, when I can, just hunker down at home and let the 1D-10Ts kill themselves off. 4 wheel drive doesn't mean squat on ice. 65 MPH on snow is just asking for trouble. That's why I drive a 1 ton dualie dump truck. Run into me and you won't walk away.

26F, freezing rain left 3/8" ice covering everything. The last time that happened some people were without power for 6 weeks . Trees were falling everywhere. I never told any of those poor souls that I never lost power. Right when the storm hit I went to Sears and bought the biggest generator that they had but I never opened the box. Like a fool I sold it for what I paid for it.

Here in the Portland (Oregon) area, we rarely get snow. Therefore all it takes is one snow flake to be seen in the metro area and traffic seizes up because everyone freaks out.

Crazy !

I live 30 miles from the geographic center of Texas.

Where is the geographic center of Texas? And how was it decided? I imagine the formula for calculating the geographic center of Texas is complicated enough to be the subject of a doctoral thesis. Probably something more easily determined with computer modeling. Like finding the center of gravity of a complex part in 3D CAD. Actually, that's probably how it would be done. Treat TX like a 2D complex shape and derive its center of gravity. Could do it with an accurate plasma cutout of the state and a pinpoint fulcrum, no math involved. I wonder if the result would jive with the officially declared center.

Now, add in the mountains and see what happens. Oops, I mean hills. Oops I mean, .... never mind.

I am from Ohio. Traffic on our semi snow covered freeways is still 55-75 mph.
DONT get on the highways and think your going to go 35, you will probably be run over....stick to the side streets...lol

Woke up to a little sleet on the ground, but that is it. Roads look good.

4 wheel drive doesn't mean squat on ice. 65 MPH on snow is just asking for trouble.
On one of my cross-country ski trips we were unloading our gear on the side of the road when a 4WD flew by. Going sideways, all 4 wheels spinning away. Fortunately no harm done, but it really did illustrate just how useless 4WD can be if you don't know what you are doing. Being able to drive all 4 does not confer immunity from stupidity.

We drove to our ski trail in a front wheel drive VW Rabbit, no AWD, no 4motion stuff. All 4 tires were studded snow tires. There and back home, no problem. Then as now the biggest risk was from other drivers.

On one of my cross-country ski trips we were unloading our gear on the side of the road when a 4WD flew by. Going sideways, all 4 wheels spinning away. Fortunately no harm done, but it really did illustrate just how useless 4WD can be if you don't know what you are doing. Being able to drive all 4 does not confer immunity from stupidity.

We drove to our ski trail in a front wheel drive VW Rabbit, no AWD, no 4motion stuff. All 4 tires were studded snow tires. There and back home, no problem. Then as now the biggest risk was from other drivers.

When I was going to school at OIT in Klamath Falls, we would spend almost every weekend skiing at Bachelor. I had a front wheel drive Honda Civic. That was one of the best vehicles I have ever driven in snow. But when it comes to ice, there is no such thing as a good car, other than the one that is safely parked in the driveway.

Last edited:
I have about 3 inches here, and still lightly coming down. Expecting quite a bit more, maybe another 6 inches or so, over the next 24 hours, then it's supposed to warm up and rain. Should all be gone by Monday.

The most fun is the local news trying to report on this. ''Snowpocalypse 2021'' They are in crisis mode, wall to wall coverage, the reporters are scattered out all over the Portland metro area in the normal trouble spots. ''Yes Joe, it's still snowing here, getting bad'' With a few exceptions, the traffic in the background shots is moving just fine.

Growing up in California, I had a kind of remote connection to snow. Intellectually I knew all about it.

But going back to college in Boston, the first big cold snowstorm happened. I trudged out to the car, and of course the door locks were frozen, couldn't get the key in. I know how to fix that, went back to the apartment and got a bowl of hot water, and threw it at the door...snap, instant ice, now worse than before. It was a learning experience.

This was my introduction to winter in New England. I left the day I got my diploma.

But really, I enjoyed summers, the Charles River, the history, the smart people...I''m not really complaining. Too much.

Back