More of the white death on its way .

The holder for the inserts are CXA8s , so maybe the BXA8s are the same . Check it out , I'll save a set of 3 till you find out . I thought the AXA8s were a parting tool holder , but what do I know ? :)

Are we talking about the blade only?
the P-4 is 60*, and fits most holders

Yes , blades only , and they fit all size Aloris holders .

Where is the geographic center of Texas? And how was it decided? I imagine the formula for calculating the geographic center of Texas is complicated enough to be the subject of a doctoral thesis. Probably something more easily determined with computer modeling. Like finding the center of gravity of a complex part in 3D CAD. Actually, that's probably how it would be done. Treat TX like a 2D complex shape and derive its center of gravity. Could do it with an accurate plasma cutout of the state and a pinpoint fulcrum, no math involved. I wonder if the result would jive with the officially declared center.

Now, add in the mountains and see what happens. Oops, I mean hills. Oops I mean, .... never mind.
It is actually fairly simple if you have an accurate map of the state. The map image can be converted to a vector image, like a dxf file. From there, importing it into a CAD program like SolidWorks, and creating a solid model of the state (no topology, just uniform thickness) and then using the Mass Properties function , it will give you the center of mass which will be the center of the model. Knowing the coordinates of one or more points on the state border, you can scale the map accordingly and pinpoint the geographical center of the state.

As an exercise, I pulled a dxf map off the internet and imported as a sketch into SolidWorks. I placed the intersection of the border with New Mexico at 32ºN latitude and 103ºW longitude at the origin. I then created a 1" solid. From the Mass Properties, the center of mass of the solid was 2.5248" to the right and .5904" down from the origin.

To get the scale for the map I went to Google Earth and used the ruler to measure the 103ºW border length and the 36º30' border with Oklahoma. As it turned out, the horizontal and vertical scale factor weren't the same which probably meant that the dxf map wasn't accurate. But to continue, I used the horizontal scale factor of 77.87 miles/inch to determine the distance to the east and the vertical scale factor of 85.78 miles/inch to determine the distance to the south. This put the Center of Texas about 7 miles east of Eden and 4.5 miles north. The Texas Highway Dept. has determined the geographical center of Texas to be alongside Hwy 765 between Brady and Brownwood which us about 33 miles ENE if my location. Again, I suspect that this is largely due to an inaccurate dxf map..

Hey, it's subzero and windy outside and football is over.

P.S. It is also possible that the Texas Highway Dept. is in error. Their determination was done prior to 1963 without the benefit of modern computer technology. A more thorough examination would resolve the discrepancy.

It is actually fairly simple if you have an accurate map of the state. The map image can be converted to a vector image, like a dxf file. From there, importing it into a CAD program like SolidWorks, and creating a solid model of the state (no topology, just uniform thickness) and then using the Mass Properties function , it will give you the center of mass which will be the center of the model. Knowing the coordinates of one or more points on the state border, you can scale the map accordingly and pinpoint the geographical center of the state.

As an exercise, I pulled a dxf map off the internet and imported as a sketch into SolidWorks. I placed the intersection of the border with New Mexico at 32ºN latitude and 103ºW longitude at the origin. I then created a 1" solid. From the Mass Properties, the center of mass of the solid was 2.5248" to the right and .5904" down from the origin.

To get the scale for the map I went to Google Earth and used the ruler to measure the 103ºW border length and the 36º30' border with Oklahoma. As it turned out, the horizontal and vertical scale factor weren't the same which probably meant that the dxf map wasn't accurate. But to continue, I used the horizontal scale factor of 77.87 miles/inch to determine the distance to the east and the vertical scale factor of 85.78 miles/inch to determine the distance to the south. This put the Center of Texas about 7 miles east of Eden and 4.5 miles north. The Texas Highway Dept. has determined the geographical center of Texas to be alongside Hwy 765 between Brady and Brownwood which us about 33 miles ENE if my location. Again, I suspect that this is largely due to an inaccurate dxf map..

Hey, it's subzero and windy outside and football is over.

P.S. It is also possible that the Texas Highway Dept. is in error. Their determination was done prior to 1963 without the benefit of modern computer technology. A more thorough examination would resolve the discrepancy.
Well, there ya go! Mystery solved, thanks!

I wonder if the discrepancy has anything to do with the type of map projection used. The earth is a sorta out-of-round sphere after all. Most common maps using Mercator projection represent Greenland as a mass larger than the U.S. and Antarctica as larger than Africa. I think, as native spherical coordinates, lat/long should be self-correcting in this kind of exercise, but I don't really know what I'm talking about. Maybe if a 3D radial section of globe with Texas' boundaries extending all the way to center of the earth were placed in a lathe between centers and perfectly balanced, the live center (or maybe dead center is more appropriate) would identify the true, spherically corrected, zero error, geographical center of TX.

Not suggesting anyone go out and do that, just a thought experiment. 33 miles of error is well within my idea of acceptable tolerance where the geographical center of TX is concerned.

Well, there ya go! Mystery solved, thanks!

I wonder if the discrepancy has anything to do with the type of map projection used. The earth is a sorta out-of-round sphere after all. Most common maps using Mercator projection represent Greenland as a mass larger than the U.S. and Antarctica as larger than Africa. I think, as native spherical coordinates, lat/long should be self-correcting in this kind of exercise, but I don't really know what I'm talking about. Maybe if a 3D radial section of globe with Texas' boundaries extending all the way to center of the earth were placed in a lathe between centers and perfectly balanced, the live center (or maybe dead center is more appropriate) would identify the true, spherically corrected, zero error, geographical center of TX.

Not suggesting anyone go out and do that, just a thought experiment. 33 miles of error is well within my idea of acceptable tolerance where the geographical center of TX is concerned.
Actually, one way to determine the geographical center prior to computers would be to lay a map of the state out on a piece of sheet metal, plastic or other uniform material. Cut the outline and balance on a point until it sits level.

As to the correct representation of the state on a flat surface, who knows? It would depend upon which projection was used. But then, it is just a thought experiment and there is no particular gain other than bragging rights at stake. I am curious as to why my attempt had different scale factors for horizontal and vertical though.

So after receiving 8” of snow tomorrow we’re expecting 9 deg C. Gonna be a soupy mess!

Been a little snowy and icy here. Commuter train station about 10 miles west of me. About 1 inch of ice over 5 inches of snow.
View attachment 355731
I wouldn't trade our ten days of below zero lows plus another twenty for all that ice. It makes a great, if somewhat surreal, picture though. I would expect that there is a lot of damage to trees from the ice. I hope you will get some warming in the very near future.

You could do some serious Donuts on that ice.

Back