More of the white death on its way .

Been a little snowy and icy here. Commuter train station about 10 miles west of me. About 1 inch of ice over 5 inches of snow.
View attachment 355731
I've seen that situation when I was growing up. Second or third grade. . . Even a child on a sled had trouble. Were I a little older and a little more adventurous, it might have been a day. The only good thing I remember was enough snow to build a "fort" under the ice where Pop couldn't find me.

In central Massachusetts, 4am, I just got done spreading salt on my town route. The ice is building up and the trees are drooping. I hope this doesn't turn into another historic ice storm .

Man, we got pelted with snow last night. Going to have to leave a minute or so early, to get the snow off the car.

Attachments

• IMG_1718.jpg
    IMG_1718.jpg
    546.3 KB · Views: 9
Our area got between sea level 3" and at about 300-500 feet 16". Very dry powdery type of snow. It blew in under the boat covering (shed) and covered the docks and boats with snow. Not a big deal but boats are not as well insulated as homes are.
Today, it is raining on and off, with periods of down pours.
I was scheduled to go into the office to clean out my desk today. Got a notice from Boeing stating due to the inclement weather, they are closing the campus and will reschedule another time. Great timing, now that the snow is all but melted. Not the end of the world for me to clean out my desk, so doesn't really matter. But kind of funny that they feel it is unsafe after everything is over.

I read an article from the Dallas Morning News this morning about the storm related electrical problems in Texas. They stated in the article that current prices are spiking as high as $9/kwh. Some providers are urging customers to find another supplier. We are paying around $.14/kwh and that would be a 6,400% increase for us. WOW!

Fortunately for us up in the frigid north, electric heat is impractical and heat pumps are only viable as a secondary source or if a geothermal heat exchanger is used so increased electrical demand would be limited to the use of engine heaters. Some may recall a few years back when there was a nation wide propane shortage and prices spiked to around three times normal prices if it was even available.

I shudder to think of the situation that would occur if a storm like this happened after a widespread switch to electric powered vehicles. Blackouts, brownouts, and rolling blackouts are bad enough in warm weather. In cold weather, they can be deadly.

I read an article from the Dallas Morning News this morning about the storm related electrical problems in Texas. They stated in the article that current prices are spiking as high as $9/kwh. Some providers are urging customers to find another supplier. We are paying around $.14/kwh and that would be a 6,400% increase for us. WOW!

Fortunately for us up in the frigid north, electric heat is impractical and heat pumps are only viable as a secondary source or if a geothermal heat exchanger is used so increased electrical demand would be limited to the use of engine heaters. Some may recall a few years back when there was a nation wide propane shortage and prices spiked to around three times normal prices if it was even available.

I shudder to think of the situation that would occur if a storm like this happened after a widespread switch to electric powered vehicles. Blackouts, brownouts, and rolling blackouts are bad enough in warm weather. In cold weather, they can be deadly.

I could respond but it would require political content.

Back