Mothering my mother

It’s not just limited to the elderly, in the last 3 months, my wife has gone from working 40-50 hrs a week, to being basically bed ridden. While the cancer has been physically disabling, the mental though of a second more severe form of cancer has basically taken the wind completely out of her sails. We have been helping take care of my wife’s mom, no I’ve gone to caring for the wife.

when your growing up, the thought of caring for your parents is a distant thought in the back of your mind, but caring for a child or partner is almost unthinkable. My respect and sympathy goes out to everyone, who cares for their love ones.
My prayers and good wishes to your wife and your family.

Having gone through this with my wife's father, mother and grandmother, I can appreciate how difficult it is to care for a love one day in and day out. We do it because we love them and care, but that does not make it any easier. My wife, because I was working did most (99%) of the work. But it is tasking on everyone. Towards the end of her grandmothers time, my wife would be lucky to get an hour of sleep at any one time. Her grandmother was afraid of being alone and would constantly call my wife to come in and sit with her. Sadly, my wife got little to no help from her siblings.

P.S. I have a lot of respect for caretakers that deal with this on a daily basis.

My mother is doing very well!
About 3-4 days after she started taking 7.5mg of Mirtazapine-Hexal.

"" It's used to treat depression and sometimes obsessive compulsive disorder and anxiety disorders.""

She turned the corner. She had no interest in participating in life anymore. My wife and I discussed this with her doctor. He prescribed a low dose of this medication.
Interestingly enough, it also deals with anxiety and helps with appetite. She is eating again!
She has always been a bit OCD. =Win Win :)

Sadly, my wife got little to no help from her siblings.
Charlie,
Unfortunately this seems to be the case with many families.
In my case, I have a brother that calls to tell me about his horse, new barn, his wife's new implants (teeth, what else is there?) and never asks about his mother.

Charlie,
Unfortunately this seems to be the case with many families.
In my case, I have a brother that calls to tell me about his horse, new barn, his wife's new implants (teeth, what else is there?) and never asks about his mother.
It is sad, I moved our mother out here from Michigan but my sister only comes by every few months despite living in the same neighborhood. We did have to go through a lengthy process to buy her half of the home we're in, and she may have some lingering issues around our parents divorce but I still don't understand not wanting to be a bigger part of her life.

When our dad was in his final years I came out whenever I could from Michigan and spent time with him even though it was less than comfortable for me. Our relationship wasn't always the greatest but I'm glad I spent the time I did and wouldn't trade it for anything.

John

Back