My first Bridgeport

Be mindful of the shims in the power feed, put them back in the same place!

Would be a good idea to order a set of new wipers for all of the ways while it's apart. There's an excellent video on the H&W youtube channel, for breaking down the mill. I'll second the advice to slide the table off onto a cart. Barry shows how it's done in the video, and it's a piece of cake to do.

Mine runs pretty smooth with the crank - no creaking or other issues that I can see. I want to keep it that way, which is why I'm going to pull it while the rest of the items are off.

And, new wipers of course! And whatever else I find that needs to be done while all this is apart. What about the oil lines - my one-shot is chinesium, labeled 'one hunglo' or somesuch. I think the oiler itself is ok but I'm tempted to replace the lines if they look at all sketchy.

When I had my circa 1978 Lagun apart, I changed all the oil lines and metering valves. I would have been ****** if one of the hard/brittle original lines failed a couple weeks after re-assembly! They're pretty cheap, and there will never be a better opportunity to do it. The X half of leadscrew nut on my mill had a copper tube that just dripped oil on the top of the screw. I drilled the nut housing so it was direct fed, like the Y half. Again, there's a H&W video with Barry showing how to do that.

IMG_0973.JPG
IMG_0972.JPG

Got the table off - I made it harder than it had to be because I loosened the gib but then forgot to remove it before I slid it off...
Obviously some wear on the lower right side in the picture - I'm just a beginner hobbyist and am thinking I can probably let this go as-is because I'm probably never going to be as accurate as this wear will cost me. Amiright?

Ok after further investigation it appears the only thing getting oil is the knee- I pumped the chinesium oiler a few times and nothing appearing on the ways at all. The only sign of oil coming out is below the knee on the ways there. Just as well I disassembled this thing.

Looks like you have chrome ways so it would have to be stripped to scrape. Clean it and use it, don't worry about that little bit of wear.
I replaced all of my hoses and meters when I tore mine down, buy hose and olives, reuse the nuts. The hoses are difficult to push in by hand, you'll probably need to make a tool. Take a chunk of aluminum or wood and drill a tubing hole through it, cut a slit so it will compress and grab the tubing without crushing it. Squeeze it with a pair of pliers to push the tubing in then slide it off the free end.

Tie it to the manifold last.
4C2F1D4A-1E67-4044-9CA7-DFEFCD1BCC40.jpeg

Confirm the oil is flowing before putting it back together.
10536852-0710-4F39-893E-3B2AD06E94E5.jpeg

IMG_0984.JPG

Guess I found a bigger issue...

Firstram, I hope mine looks as nice as yours does when I reassemble.

It will look as good with kerosene and purple power!

Can't see that chip when the saddle is installed!

Back