My First Lathe - HF 9" x 20"

To mark the holes, use transfer screws. Screw them into the chuck and have the point facing towards the plate. Only have the points just barely sticking out. Push chuck onto plate and tap with hammer to have the screw points make a mark. Now you know where to drill. You can buy the screws, or you can make them. The ones you make won't be as good (hard), but they will be just fine for a single use. And think about how you will extract them! If you file flats on the threads on two sides you can get a pair of fine tweezers in to get the screw out. (For a blind hole.)

To mark the holes, use transfer screws. Screw them into the chuck and have the point facing towards the plate. Only have the points just barely sticking out. Push chuck onto plate and tap with hammer to have the screw points make a mark. Now you know where to drill. You can buy the screws, or you can make them. The ones you make won't be as good (hard), but they will be just fine for a single use. And think about how you will extract them! If you file flats on the threads on two sides you can get a pair of fine tweezers in to get the screw out. (For a blind hole.)

Great idea!!! Did not even know those existed!

Ordered!! They should be here tomorrow!

HHIP 3601-1008 7 Piece Transfer Screw Set, M8 X 1.25

M8 Transfer screw set.jpg

Don't beat on these guys. They are only designed to make a light mark. If you need a deeper mark, use a center or pointed punch later. They are perfect for something like this.

I took it down short of a few thousands...

IMG_2492.jpeg

To leave me some material to try to get a better finish...

IMG_2490.jpeg

Increased the speed, slowed down the feed rate (doing it all manually, of course)... and got much better finish on the part...

IMG_2497.jpeg

Done for now... just waiting on the transfer screws to mark the hole locations...

IMG_2501.jpeg

Everything cleaned again... that is all for tonight...

Done...

IMG_2506.jpeg

And placed this on it... practiced centering the piece... machined it... then removed it... and installed it again.

IMG_2507.jpeg

It took me awhile to center it both times... Is going to take me a lot of practice to get use to doing this. I plan to leave the 4-jaw chuck in place for now just to practice centering parts/stock...

Last edited:
Nice work on the backing plate. It takes some practice to develop the 4-jaw technique that works for you. I’m certainly still working on it.

Working on making the mounts for the dial indicators. I have some 80/20 material that I might be able to use for this... just need to see what size would work best for this... I have some 20mm x 20mm, 20mm x 40mm...

Dial Indicator Mount-4.jpeg

Looking at @Steve-F 's photos... I see that the backsplash on his lathe is located farther from the lathe than mine... I do not have space there to place the dial indicator... I need to figure out an elegant way to move the backsplash out.

IMG_2567.jpeg

On the other side, looks like it might be easier... even if our setups are different...

Dial Indicator Mount-5.jpeg

IMG_2566.jpeg

Back