My First Lathe - HF 9" x 20"

Figured I would update here... so in this thread I shared that I could not make the radius cut in this little lathe on a 5/8" stock... the tool would dig into the material because the lathe was not rigid enough...

Turns out that the problem, as most of the time with my projects, was the nut behind the wheel... It was user error all along.

The carriage was not tighten correctly against the bed... way too loose...

So I tighten everything and guess what!?

IMG_6563.jpeg

IMG_6565.jpeg

IMG_6566.jpeg

Then I went and got the same cutting tool I used before... the one on the left side in this photo...

IMG_6574.jpeg

And sure enough... worked without issues...

IMG_6577.jpeg

IMG_6579.jpeg

I know it shows shatter in that photo... that was me as well... I started to play with the height of the tool and took another pass... I should have taken a photo before, but anyway, just a quick pass of emery cloth and take a look...

IMG_6580.jpeg

I know that I have said many times that if I find a small Atlas lathe, I will sell this one. Simply because of looks. I just love how the small Atlas/Craftsman, South Bend, Logan looks... But this little lathe has grown on me... I might just stop looking for that Atlas/Logan...

Last edited:
Okay... had to do the other end to be able to show that I can get it done without shatter... photos as of finalizing the cut... no emery cloth nor sandpaper was used in the making of this part :D

IMG_6583.jpeg

IMG_6582.jpeg

I am going to look for a more sturdy workbench and move it over... this puppy is not leaving me.

Whereas these aren't big lathes, if they are well setup, they're ok. Glad you got the side plates tightened up, they help a lot when tightened.

I've started machining a 6 bolt compound clamp for mine. Hope it helps improve the compound rigidity some. If nothing else, I can at least try out my rotary table while machining the compound clamp.

I also found a Delta wood lathe for sale... I just want it for the bench... hoping that it is better and more sturdy than the bench its on now... sucker just shakes all around... can't seem to be able to make it sturdy...

wood lathe.jpeg

Now just watch me not wanting to take it apart after buying it... what is the likelihood I end up with a wood lathe and still not a bench for my small metal lathe :grin big::grin big::grin big::grin big:

I know that I have said many times that if I find a small Atlas lathe, I will sell this one. Simply because of looks. I just love how the small Atlas/Craftsman, South Bend looks... But this little lathe has grown on me... I might just stop looking for that Atlas...

These 9x20 lathes have some deficiencies but they are better than many give them credit. I specifically got mine to tinker with, there are tons of mods out there to improve them, and the price I paid for mine I have no worries doing stuff to it. It was missing the change gears so is a perfect candidate for an electronic lead screw.

I also found a Delta wood lathe for sale... I just want it for the bench... hoping that it is better and more sturdy than the bench its on now... sucker just shakes all around... can't seem to be able to make it sturdy...

View attachment 412661

Now just watch me not wanting to take it apart after buying it... what is the likelihood I end up with a wood lathe and still not a bench for my small metal lathe :grin big::grin big::grin big::grin big:

Enjoy your wood lathe, it would be criminal to separate that lathe from the stand. ;)

These 9x20 lathes have some deficiencies but they are better than many give them credit. I specifically got mine to tinker with, there are tons of mods out there to improve them, and the price I paid for mine I have no worries doing stuff to it. It was missing the change gears so is a perfect candidate for an electronic lead screw.
Absolutely, but the original it was taken from had those deficiencies too like no back gear or tumbler reverse. I got mine because it was a fraction of what they wanted for a real Emco or SB or Atlas. Completely tooled too! After reading all the websites I was convinced it would do what I wanted because it could be fixed(bad QC) etc. So it’s been very close to the perfect lathe for me having little $$ ,no space and no real need for a larger lathe when I get right down to it. If my situation ever changes my 9x20 will become my back up because more than size limits it’s been needing a lathe to fix/mod a lathe.

Absolutely, but the original it was taken from had those deficiencies too like no back gear or tumbler reverse. I got mine because it was a fraction of what they wanted for a real Emco or SB or Atlas. Completely tooled too! After reading all the websites I was convinced it would do what I wanted because it could be fixed(bad QC) etc. So it’s been very close to the perfect lathe for me having little $$ ,no space and no real need for a larger lathe when I get right down to it. If my situation ever changes my 9x20 will become my back up because more than size limits it’s been needing a lathe to fix/mod a lathe.

Agree, except for perhaps fit and finish (I've never seen an actual Emco Compact 8 to compare) the 9x20 seems to be an improvement over the Emco design, and actually a well thought out small hobby lathe.

Agree, except for perhaps fit and finish (I've never seen an actual Emco Compact 8 to compare) the 9x20 seems to be an improvement over the Emco design, and actually a well thought out small hobby lathe.
I’ve never seen one in person either but pics don’t seem to make them out to be that much different. I understand they are made to a much higher standard so I don’t think the difference could be fully appreciated until used. Looks can be deceiving.

Folks can have their opinions but to auto bag on HF is a mystery to me. If there was something equivalent for the same price I’d buy it. But in the 9x range around here is stuff that’s worn out and because it’s got a tag from the hobbyist American wet dream list is 3x’s the price. What’s funny is when I see a 9x with a different paint job/name tag with that same 3x’s $$$.

Back