My First Lathe - HF 9" x 20"

Yep big sticker, but apparently some still think they can engage and disengage while running leading to short belt life.

It has no spindle reverse, not really a big deal since it is a threaded spindle, but it often is brought up as a weakness.
Since we are discussing the spindle there is a retention clip and screw on the spindle which needs to be removed before you can remove the chuck.

But that was my confusion... moving lever towards me would release the tension on the belt. That was why I was scratching my head. Unless I have the tensioner around the belt, setup incorrectly...

IMG_2278.jpeg

IMG_2279.jpeg

And :sorry: to keep asking, but what is the reverse switch for then? It does have reverse... The chuck switches direction... What am I not understanding??

IMG_2280.jpeg

Photos of the retention clip. Checked :encourage:

IMG_2275.jpeg

IMG_2274.jpeg

My lathe is identical to yours. I have always started the motor with the lever toward me and then move the lever away from me to get things going. I am using the original belt that is 30 years old.

My lathe is identical to yours. I have always started the motor with the lever toward me and then move the lever away from me to get things going. I am using the original belt that is 30 years old.

Do you use a different belt when switching from using pulley B and C (5m730) versus using C and A (5m710)?

I have not try moving it, but seen videos where folks find the belt too loose when using 5m730 between C and A pulleys...

Do you use a different belt when switching from using pulley B and C (5m730) versus using C and A (5m710)?

I have not try moving it, but seen videos where folks find the belt too loose when using 5m730 between C and A pulleys...
Same belt.

But that was my confusion... moving lever towards me would release the tension on the belt. That was why I was scratching my head. Unless I have the tensioner around the belt, setup incorrectly...

View attachment 378662

View attachment 378663

And :sorry: to keep asking, but what is the reverse switch for then? It does have reverse... The chuck switches direction... What am I not understanding??

View attachment 378664

Photos of the retention clip. Checked :encourage:

View attachment 378660

View attachment 378661

Interesting, it sounds like you have a reversible motor then, I wonder if this was done on later machines or the prior owner changed the motor.. Mine has a 3 way switch but the motor turns the same direction regardless of which way the switch is turned. The lack of a reverse is often brought up as a con with these lathes and the larger 10x22 cousin.

I discovered the retention clip the stupid way, luckily I stopped and made a more thorough inspection when the chuck would only loosen a turn instead of going to brute force. I have not encountered a clip like that on any other threaded spindle lathe.

As far as the lever it is recommended that you apply / release tension with the motor stopped to reduce stress on the belt whether that is towards you or away. I'm 200 miles from home so kind of hard for me to go check mine to see which way applies tension.

When I asked about this in the 9x20 group several had first hand experience with snapping belts if the belt wasn't engaged before starting the motor. The manual and warning sticker say not to change tension while the lathe is running. Maybe you got lucky or are just less ham handed than some owners. I don't see any benefit to engaging the belt while running vs when the motor is off.

Interesting, it sounds like you have a reversible motor then, I wonder if this was done on later machines or the prior owner changed the motor.. Mine has a 3 way switch but the motor turns the same direction regardless of which way the switch is turned. The lack of a reverse is often brought up as a con with these lathes and the larger 10x22 cousin.

I discovered the retention clip the stupid way, luckily I stopped and made a more thorough inspection when the chuck would only loosen a turn instead of going to brute force. I have not encountered a clip like that on any other threaded spindle lathe.

As far as the lever it is recommended that you apply / release tension with the motor stopped to reduce stress on the belt whether that is towards you or away. I'm 200 miles from home so kind of hard for me to go check mine to see which way applies tension.

When I asked about this in the 9x20 group several had first hand experience with snapping belts if the belt wasn't engaged before starting the motor. The manual and warning sticker say not to change tension while the lathe is running. Maybe you got lucky or are just less ham handed than some owners. I don't see any benefit to engaging the belt while running vs when the motor is off.
The sticker says that you should have the lever toward you (tension off) before starting.

Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 12.05.52 AM.jpg

Two items:

First:
The intent of the instructions is to start the motor with the belt released. It probably has to do with a weak starting winding, cap, et al. I have started mine without releasing the belt for 20 years or more. I have destroyed the belt acouple of times, but with my homade pulleys, I attribute that as much to poor workmanship as wear. Keeping in mind that a belt will take a "set" if left tight during occasional use, it might be advisable to release the belt when not being used. Your photo of the belt routing is correct, BTW. Mine uses only one belt for both ranges. A matter of specific pulley sizes and motor mounting.

Second: There are occasions where reversing the lead screw has advantages. In "normal" use, one makes a cut from RIGHT to LEFT. If you desired to cut LEFT to RIGHT, you would need to do it by hand. An example would be dressing the left side of a part. Or, more significantly, cutting a LEFT HAND thread. The stock machine, as delivered, cannot to this. There are many articles on the web about making a "reverse tumbler". The only one that comes to my slim mind is a Steve Bedaire. Mine is built to a slim profile to provide clearance for the home brew planetary gear head. Most tumblers are thicker.

Reversing the motor has its' own purpose, not the least is so you can leave the threading engaged during multiple passes on metric gears. The lead screw on most imports is 16TPI. When doing metric threads, the threading gears must remain connected so that multiple passes remain in registration. A whole 'nuther subject, the rabbit hole gets deeper and deeper.

The "rabbit hole" is very deep, a novice machinist will spend more time asking questions than producing. This board is an excellent source of answers, but is only one of many. A key phrase is "The only stupid question is the one not asked".

Back