My First Lathe - HF 9" x 20"

Didn't want to come across like a bad guy, but one does need to be alert and vigilant while operating. If you feel your attention is dragging, stop, before you make a mistake or have an accident. Come back to it later. Don't operate while having a conversation, at least in the beginning, maybe not ever. We want to see all the cool things you will make with whatever gear you have. End of safety lecture.

Ok, back to work having fun! You will develop a workflow that works for you. In the beginning, I had to make good sketches or drawings to make things. Now that using the lathe is more natural, sometimes I don't bother with a detailed sketch, just a basic one. For now, learn the machine and do basic operations. Just turning to a precise diameter is something you will have to learn, as it requires you to know about the characteristics of your cutting tools, as well as how to measure precisely. It's all good stuff and will become natural before long. If not, and you have questions, just post up and folks will be glad to help.

My dad was a Marine...not going into details of how I was raised, but just know that I can take anything :D... I do not get offended easy. So speak/write freely with me. Better to be safe than staining the lathe with my blood.

Your ears will tell you a lot about what's going on, listen well.....

Looks like that was for a QCTP...

IMG_2284.jpeg

IMG_2286.jpeg

IMG_2287.jpeg

My dad was a Marine...not going into details of how I was raised, but just know that I can take anything :D... I do not get offended easy. So speak/write freely with me. Better to be safe than staining the lathe with my blood.
I know exactly what you mean. I am very direct and prefer that people are the same way with me, a lot of people are put off by that.

Good deal on the plinth!

On the tumbler reverse... found Steve's website that goes into the making of one... not that I will do it anytime soon... but good to keep as reference...

And I think that I finally understand the difference and where my confusion was... It is similar to what you wrote, but it took time to click in my brain...

"The reverse tumbler allows the direction of the leadscrew to be reversed without changing the direction of the motor / chuck. ( This should no be confused with the motor reverse ) This allows you to make cuts away from the chuck and also to cut left handed threads."

Apparently I need to re-familiarize myself with this lathe, now I am thoroughly confused. I could have sworn it was the opposite, that the lead screw revered and the spindle didn't. It has been more than a year since I've had any real time to play with it between working, fiddling with other machines and re-arranging the shop.

Disregard my rambling clearly my mind has gone. :oops:

I mentioned not buying anything else besides the quick change tool post that I just got. But I should at least get a 4-jaw chuck for it, correct? To practice repeatability removing and reinstalling a part....

I will search for an inexpensive one.

Down the rabbit hole, you go :p There's always one more thing!
A four jaw is very useful. Once you remove a part from a three jaw, and put it back, it won't be concentric again. With a four jaw it is no problem, just dial it in and go.

Down the rabbit hole, you go :p There's always one more thing!
A four jaw is very useful. Once you remove a part from a three jaw, and put it back, it won't be concentric again. With a four jaw it is no problem, just dial it in and go.

I know, I know... but just that and then I am done... promise...

Researching the type of chuck needed... If I got this correctly, I should look for a chuck with a M39-4.0 thread. And I should look for something like a 5" chuck...

Back