My Flat Head Hit Miss Engine

rdean

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The withdrawal pains have gotten to be too much for me I just have to start another engine project. This one will be a flat head hit miss engine. Evidently flat head engines come in several different types and many different names. To me a flat head engine has the intake and exhaust valves in the engine block like a Briggs and Stratton or an early Ford V8 so that will be the type I will build.
1" piston
2" stroke
Ball type governor
Horizontal style

I make very few drawings, you can't even call them drawings more like layout scribbles. I am never sure just what the project will look like when it is finished as I make an assembly like a cylinder block and then everything else is fitted around that. The next component is built and the rest of the parts fit around that and so on.

I started with a piece of cast iron about 4" long and bored it for a 1" piston.
IMG_1272.JPG
Next was a block of aluminum 4" X 3.5" X 3" that I bored to fit the liner.
IMG_1275.JPG
And here they are for a test fit.
Note the rectangle marked in the top of the block.
IMG_1276.JPG
Next to cut the water cooling area.
There was a lot of swarf from this.
IMG_1280.JPG
And the finished water jacket with the liner slipped in.
IMG_1285.JPG
The thicker side of the block is where the valve will go so that needs to be milled 3/4" deep.
I made the cavity extra deep and long to be sure to have plenty of room for for the valves.
IMG_1286.JPG
This picture shows the valve box and the two holes in the front of the block are for the valve guides.
Note that the one hole has a matching hole in the opposite end of the block. This hole is for the exhaust valve lifter. The intake valve is atmospheric and is opened by vacuum.
IMG_1288.JPG
I drilled and taped the holes for the cylinder head and gave it a good cleaning.
IMG_1291.JPG
The liner was permanently installed with a liberal amount of lock tight.
IMG_1292.JPG

The next step will be to deck the cylinder head end of the block to insure the liner and block are the same height but not until the the lock tight has set up.

Ray

Yeah, us addicts are all the same. Mine are a little larger, and I don't make all the parts, but same disease. Mike

Mike it does seem to be a disease
I hope it is a fun project for all Firstram.

Ray

Nice project. Will be following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just for the dreamers here (raises his hand) what's the finished OD on the cast iron sleeve? Following along.

I had to go out and measure it to be sure. It turned out 1.001 or so depending on how you hold your mouth.

Thanks for following along.
Ray

I had to go out and measure it to be sure. It turned out 1.001 or so depending on how you hold your mouth.

Thanks for following along.
Ray
Guess I'm asking for both the ID and OD then. I thought the ID was 1" and was asking about the OD. Seems I'm mistaken. You gave dimensions on the aluminum block, so I was trying to figure out the cast iron piece size.

Sorry

The liner OD is 1.250 with a lip on one end that is 1.45 and fits into a slot in the cylinder block.
I hope that is what you were asking.

Edited
Ray

Last edited:
Back