My Flat Head Hit Miss Engine

Ray:
Looks good. What piston ring are you using for this engine?

Roger L

I am using a o-ring on the piston.
Thanks for the question Roger

Ray

:) Yes it runs

Issues that had to be fixed.
I had to move the gas tank up 1" as the fuel level would drop in the fuel line and there wasn't enough time left for the engine to pick it up and fire after it had coasted. I tried to make an inline check valve but that didn't work out so just move the tank.
IMG_1437.JPG

The governor drive o-ring was slipping so I cut a new one from some larger diameter stock and super glued the ends. Works fine now.
Other than what I mentioned there were no other problems just the usual adjustments and tweaking of a new build.

OK here's the video

Some of the things I have learned is this style of head arrangement seems to require a richer mixture than other overhead valve engines I have built. She wants to have a little choke to start even if the engine is warmed up. There are more intake strokes needed before the engine fires again after the coasting cycle. I suppose all of these things are because the fuel air mixture has further to go to get to the spark.

I ran the engine straight for over 15 minutes with water in the hopper and the temperature was 120 degrees.
The engine low speed was 540 rpms with a high around 800 which is a respectable range but not as good as some of my other engines.
I may in the future plane some off the head to increase the compression ratio and see how that works but for now it is complete and a success.

Thanks to everyone for following along with comments and likes.
Ray

Back