My Logan 820 Lathe Journey

Before you buy anything verify that your spindle is actually a true MT3. My lathe is an 11" with a 1" bore and has what I thought was an MT4, but it is an odd ball, close but not quite an MT4. This may not be an issue on real Logans as mine is from the Powermatic / Logan era.

As far as the wooden handle, if only you had a classic Delta wood lathe to turn that on... :grin:
I did check, indeed it is an MT3 :encourage:

And yeah, if only I had one of those old Delta wood lathes! :laughing: I guess I found it’s first project!

That one is almost done… I mean, it is ready to be used, but I want to finish painting the tailstock and holder (cross slide??). And I found the correct pulley to replace the one that is missing one step…just need to drill and ream to 3/4”

220DEB6F-7C96-4F42-BDC8-34F72210415C.jpeg
A8E0F7D5-8EC9-4714-94E4-A19B2116F0DA.jpeg

Belt cover now in place... and looking at the photo... I think I will remove again and completely strip the paint... I only did a clean up and light sanding... should have taken it down to the metal like I did with the other stuff... carp...

IMG_7273.jpeg

I need to make the clip that holds the door closed... mine broke when removing it...

IMG_7271.jpeg

Temporary install while I wait for the shaft ordered... I just wanted the parts off the bench...

IMG_7269.jpeg

1659543062333.png

I have done the same thing, including completely removing the paint and repainting.

If you have the time you can strip it, the first photo looks nice. If someone comes in the shop and starts bending over to give it a close inspection, kick'em in the slats to distract them. :)

I already took it out and started to get the paint off... It was really bothering me as it is a huge part that I see as I walk into the garage...

IMG_7276.jpeg

I also had order some material to make the t-nut for the compound... material arrived, cut to size for machining... taking it with me to Ocala to use the Wells-Index (just so much easier than doing this on the G0704)...

IMG_7274.jpeg

I will have some fun with it.... ordered an 8" tin sign... Could not find the one I wanted... so this one will do for now... The ones that I liked were only available in 12" and those would not fit in the available space...

Mock-up.jpg

~ meh okay I guess :)

The door had a warning label so I was looking for something funny with a "Do not open" , "Do not get in here... " , "Restricted Area"... but it needed to be round and max 8" in diameter...

I am still looking...

It is your machine, so whatever you like. :)

Back