My Logan 820 Lathe Journey

Well bummer, I would probably leave it though.
Thought about just leaving it… but best to just make another one… will see if this can be turned into T-Nuts for the milling machine.

Sucks, but lesson learned…

Looks fine to me, I wouldn't worry about it. The two critical dimensions are the bottom width and the height. The bottom has to fully engage the T and the height has to be lower than the top of the compound. The rest doesn't matter

I'd also recommend not drilling and tapping the compound. There's no need as the tool post won't move around once the tool post bolt is tightened and you'll potentially weaken the compound.

Looks fine to me, I wouldn't worry about it. The two critical dimensions are the bottom width and the height. The bottom has to fully engage the T and the height has to be lower than the top of the compound. The rest doesn't matter

I'd also recommend not drilling and tapping the compound. There's no need as the tool post won't move around once the tool post bolt is tightened and you'll potentially weaken the compound.

Thank you for calling that out. I will avoid any changes to the compound. :encourage:...

I keep going back and forth on making another one or not... I am with @Aaron_W that it will be a place for chips to fall in... maybe I can fill that with something and still use it...

The PWT Multifix should be here Monday today! I need that to figure out what bolt to use for the install... so looks like I am done in the garage for this trip...

In Ocala until Saturday night... doing the lawn and moving a few things

Will keep you all posted... Thank you!!!

Last edited:
Yes, perfect fit there...

So this gap should not be an issue?
No issue at all. The load is on the "wings", not the center area. If the "wings" were cut too thin I'd be worried about them flexing letting the nut bottom out in the middle; you'd lose clamping at that point. But you're fine.

I was running a routine on my Bridgeport CNC years ago, cutting stainless with a 1/4" end mill. My BP has an ancient control on it, no control on the motor. I didn't have coolant on the mill either (do now). I'd start the routine, sit at the work bench doing other stuff while it was running, and glance up to see if the routine was finished. In the middle of a part it sounded "funny". Looked over and saw an orange end mill plowing on through. Quick hit the E-stop, waited for things to cool down and threw the "dowel pin" in the spindle in the trash. Stuff happens, it's how we learn.

Thanks for posting!

Bruce

Thank you for calling that out. I will avoid any changes to the compound. :encourage:...

I keep going back and forth on making another one or not... I am with @Aaron_W that it will be a place for chips to fall in... maybe I can fill that with something and still use it...

The PWT Multifix should be here Monday today! I need that to figure out what bolt to use for the install... so looks like I am done in the garage for this trip...

In Ocala until Saturday night... doing the lawn and moving a few things

Will keep you all posted... Thank you!!!
hopefully chips will be all over that lathe soon, getting in all kinds of places :) I wouldn't worry about it, it'll be just fine. To be honest I'm learning that a little less precision can sometimes be a good thing - if precision isn't needed then you save a lot of time and effort with a slightly looser fit.

Here is the end mill I damaged...

IMG_7302.jpeg

IMG_7301.jpeg

And this one I damaged last week because I wanted to get close to the part... well, got to close and broke one of the flutes... amazing the things these end mills can cut, but yet at the same time, they are brittle...

IMG_7303.jpeg
IMG_7299.jpeg

Well, I will use the t-nut as is... drilled and tap two 1/4-20 for using two set screws. Nothing drilled or modified on the compound.

Center hole is so I have a guide, when I get to Orlando, on where the Multifix will be. That will need to be drilled and tap for whatever size the PWT requires...

IMG_7305.jpeg

Back