My New 1340GT

Whoot! Just got off the phone and my lathe is scheduled to show up at my house before 3PM tomorrow. The fun will begin this weekend! :dancing banana:

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing you get her set up.

I'd suggest a new thread to kick off the delivery tomorrow. I'm looking forward to lots of photos as this lathe is still on my short list of things to buy.

-Ryan

Whoot! Just got off the phone and my lathe is scheduled to show up at my house before 3PM tomorrow. The fun will begin this weekend! :dancing banana:

Congrats Bill!
You will like what you get... :)

I have my stand all welded up... being painted. Added a feature that is easier shown in a pic than described with words.

I'd suggest a new thread to kick off the delivery tomorrow. I'm looking forward to lots of photos as this lathe is still on my short list of things to buy.

-Ryan

IMO, if the capabilities and price are within your guidelines... the PM1340GT is definitely a short list choice.

Well, it's finally here. Different delivery co though as the driver offered to back up into the driveway and only had to move the late about 10' or so with an electric pallet jack to get it in the garage. I and my engineer just stood there drinking coffee and watching. Too cool. :)

Still tipped the driver though.

The crate had loose boards on it, one of the stand boxes suffered some damage and there are some scratches on the stand but no biggie. However, the 3-phase motor that I bought was left loose (it didn't even have a shipping label on it with my name) and sitting on top of the lathe crate. But somewhere during the trip it got launched into something solid and crushed one corner of the fan cage. I can't see if there is any damage to the motor or the fan but will try to take the fan cover off and assess. I've already sent a pic to Matt and asked if the fan and cover from the single phase will work. I couldn't see refusing the motor just so Matt can have a boat anchor sitting on his desk. I'll wait to see what he suggests.

Other than that, the lathe looks undamaged. There was no chuck on the bed, but there is a box with a picture of a chuck on it sitting on the floor of the lathe's crate. Should be the four-jaw. I will take pics tonight when I get home. I've got a nice weekend coming up so it's lathe cleaning on Saturday and Golf on Sunday. :D

I'm thinking I should get it up on it's stand first so I don't have to crawl around on my hands and knees doing the motor/electrical, so that will likely be the first Big Step.

Question for those with this or similar lathes: What's the best way of rigging this for hoisting with a 2T shop hoist? I assume I will be coming in with the hoist at the headstock end as that is the heaviest but not having done this before I'm not sure where to run the lifting straps (other than inside the drive and leadscrews...)

Back