My new shop baby

78 was when I graduated from high school in Fortuna Ca.
The lake of the woods area is still beautiful, though due to it's popularity not as much fun to be at with all the lowlanders.
Had to disassemble the mill to off load it as the tractor couldn't handle the lift and my brother and I had to drag the base off
the drop deck trailer after taking it apart.
After some initial clean up I rented an off road extended lift unit to put the base in the shop and then used the tractor to re assemble
the machine as per pics.

Update ; found that there was no new drive unit for the table but three very well abused units that I will try to make one usable
drive for the X table, the new parts I saw briefly in a box was quill handle parts, I am not too observant at times (gittin old)
Bad stuff the hi/lo adjustment assembly is worse than I thought parts are frozen and some missing, haven't got to the quill arm yet
it don't work but I knew that goin in, this was after all a project buy for me and fer the price I paid I am pretty sure it will
work out in the end just gonna take a little more time effort and dollars than I anticipated but that's the fun of it right ?? :big grin:

Got the quill freed up after replacing the missing key on the hand feed shaft, repaired the lock pin on the feed handle.
Cleaned and freed up the quill feed assembly, got lucky and removed the broken forward/reverse knob screw
without having to drill for an EZ out
Debating on either making or finding another fine feed wheel.
Now to git after the the hi/lo pulley basket and spring assembly now that the PB blaster has gotten it mostly freed up,
The phase converter came in early but I am not gonna fire it up till I know the rest of the head assembly is in
working order, the motor ran when I checked it out at the Po's place when I bought it though it sounded like it might need bearings
but it could have been the sticky pulley spline basket, we shall see how it develops when I deal with that.
ordered a new power feed for the X table the old ones I have are just too far gone to mess with but may be good for parts to someone or melted down for casting ingots, hmmmm maybe they will be my new fine feed wheel later on...........:idea:
Going to order a new 2 axis DRO today the scales on the old Rutland DRO it came with are shot the display screen lights up OK but WTH a new one is pretty cheap now days and I hope to have her up and runnin next week...........................:big grin:

Last edited:
Pulled off the motor and pulleys today bearings are OK in both but, (seems like there's always a but) the quill spindle bearings
sound awful so tomorrow I will dissemble the quill drive again and pull the quill like I should of done in the first place.
So much fer tryin the easy way out just gonna have a do it right so I don't hafta do it twice.
Gotta make new pins fer the top side hi/lo pulley slide thingy and find new springs fer it as one of the set of four is missing in action.
All in all a great time is being had on this project !!!!!!!
More to come !!!........ :big grin:

Well got the quill mostly apart, but the cap nut on the assembly is on TIGHT ! and of course my pin spanner wrench is MIA
and the local HF store wont have one in stock till Tuesday.
Did buy a new metric tap & die set and made new slide pins for the hi/lo pulley cam, looks like it;s gonna be clean up time fer the parts
and get the quill bearings out on Tuesday so I can order new ones, then the great assembly shall begin !!
After that I will wire in my new PAM 300HD and connect it to the mill and fire it off, new power feed and DRO are still on the way
That's it fer today folks............................ :encourage:

You know what really helps loosen up those nuts?

Pictures :grin:

John

My photographer was too busy playin flapjaw with with one of her friends and I was too engrossed in the project
to take pics, I will get some taken tomorrow and post them for yer viewin pleasure....................... :big grin:

Interesting how most of the BPort knock offs look like they used the same casting patterns. I've got a 2004 Jet 9x49 that I got about 8 years ago. Did some gibb adjust and replaced the VS belt, installed a Z axis PF, 3 axis DRO, new Kurt vice & 8" R table w/indexing PLs, new collets. Just that added considerably to the cost. I figured that I didn't need to disassemble it being only 8 years old. That looks like a lot of work.

I had considered buying a new, lighter, smaller mill, glad I didn't now that I've had this one. Buying used is always a bit risky.

Just to be sure ... carefully check the threads on the cap nut. Some of the fasteners on mill quills have left-hand threads.

I recently replaced the spindle bearings on my vintage round column mill. Rick Sparber's write-up was helpful, and it mentioned LH threads. The spanner-type nuts were a bit boogered up (possibly from a previous owner's trying to take them off the wrong way). So I ordered new ones from Grizzly. Well, lo and behold, the new ones are right hand thread! Lesson: Don't take anything for granted. Always check!

Did some cleaning of parts and had no luck finding springs fer the pulley slide, may have to order some.
womped up a batch of chili cuz it was a bit chilly outside today............ :big grin:
And fer yer viewing pleasure some pics (please ignore the big ham !!)...........................:rolleyes:

thumbnail_20201012_160216.jpgthumbnail_20201012_160224.jpgthumbnail_20201012_160232.jpgthumbnail_20201012_160339.jpgthumbnail_20201012_160455.jpgthumbnail_20201012_160533.jpgthumbnail_20201012_160627.jpg

Attachments

• thumbnail_20201012_160329.jpg
    thumbnail_20201012_160329.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Back