My new shop baby

I am watching your project too, guess we will be comparin notes on our progress........................ :encourage:
Glad I havent sold my RF-30 yet as it has been a help with the repairs on the Acra, still debating
on weather or not to keep it around due to shop size restrictions.........

Made no progress on the mill today as my parents car had a dead battery and after checking and replacing it (sulphated)
I found that the alternator had also given up the ghost.
Replaced and checked the output on it and all was well, Dad was pleased that all the warning lites were now gone.
Mom insisted that dinner and pinochle was mandatory so a wonderful afternoon/evening was had ............... :big grin:

After Physical Therapy today I got after the mill again, found that the spindle bearings were fine after a good
cleaning in the parts washer.
So I re-greased the bearings and reassembled the spindle,quill,and down feed assembly.
Tomorrow I will finish cleaning and installing the bull gear and drive belt assemblies and hopefully get it wired up
and fired off, progress is nice !!..................... :encourage:

thumbnail_20201015_162329.jpgthumbnail_20201015_161359.jpgthumbnail_20201015_161153.jpgthumbnail_20201015_122136.jpg+

My new powrefeed unit arrived this morning too !!

Last edited:
Looking good. Amazing how resilient bearings are and how dirt and grit can get into everything.

Didn't find any dirt or grit per say but the grease was dry and crumbly
causing it to sound like the bearings were toast, once cleaned they spun
up nice and coasted down like they are supposed to, that saved me some dinner roes and made my day.................. :big grin:

OK; Got her together and runnin today, a happy camper is I !!
Got some little issues to deal with but hey it's workin.............................:encourage:
Question for those in the know on phase converters, are they supposed to buzz when when the machine is off ??
I cut the power to the PAM fer the night so I wouldn't hafta worry on it.
Other than the buzzin the motor does it's job in both motor speed ranges 5400 RPMs is scary to hear on it in hi/hi gear !!
Tomorrow I will mount the power feed, tram in the head, mount the vice, and do some cuttin to feel her up, er out that is................ :big grin:

thumbnail_20201016_140404.jpgthumbnail_20201016_140603.jpgthumbnail_20201016_140857.jpgthumbnail_20201016_141221.jpgthumbnail_20201016_141251.jpgthumbnail_20201016_141309.jpgthumbnail_20201016_141434.jpgthumbnail_20201016_143756.jpg

Nice job! :encourage:

As for the VFD buzzing, I've only had two, and neither buzzes. One is a Hitachi( it's a 1hp, no fan, and totally silent.), and the other a Lenze ( it's a 3hp, and has a cooling fan that is on at all times, when powered up. No buzzing that I can make out over the fan noise. )

This is my first phase converter so I am in the dark on what is right or wrong, according to the destructions I have it wired
properly and the buzz is not described in them.
Investigation will be performed ................

This is my first phase converter so I am in the dark on what is right or wrong, according to the destructions I have it wired
properly and the buzz is not described in them.
Investigation will be performed ................
I wonder if maybe what you're hearing is the "carrier frequency" of the VFD? You could go into the parameters, and change that to a higher frequency, and see if the "buzz" either goes away, or at least changes noticeably.

Back