My next CNC project - a CNC router

Wow, it's been weeks since I posted.
Not a lot of progress as I had to almost dismantle my shop to move out the surface grinder.... (yes I sold the Parker Majestic grinder...)
But today the post delivered my new, second-one-off-the-production-line, Teensy 3.1 based control board.
Teensy_board.jpg

Z axis is built.
a4febdb3b0160f4303e49b2616c03273.jpg

Hey all, thought I best drop in here so you don't think that I've dropped off the planet.
CNC project is slowly progressing but I've been completely occupied with my two full time jobs and numerous Fall house projects.
I'm down a staff member at work so my three person team is two :(
I'm also the treasurer for an independent school and we've been prepping for and working through our inspection by govt officials in advance of our certification.
So not a lot of productive shop time I'm afraid. :(

A bit of progress today.
I managed to find a local fellow who was selling empty computer cases. Picked up the biggest one he had for $20. Even threw in three fans.
This will hold all of the electronics for the machine.
IMG_8029.jpg

Dropped all the major components into the computer case today.
From top left:
VFD
12v power supply for control board
36v power supply for stepper drivers
(fan which will go above the power supplies)
Four stepper drivers
Control board
I will mount another fan on the bottom of the enclosure to blow across the stepper drivers.
Waiting on wire raceway before I can start wiring in earnest.
IMG_8035.jpg

Much progress has been made.
I picked up a used PC tower case and have managed to stuff in all the electronics.
Put on the cable chains and ran all the cabling save for the limit switches. Still figuring out mounting setup for those.
Had a bit of a technical glitch getting connected to my custom made grblHAL motion control board but with the help of the PrintNC community I managed to get that sorted.
T-tracks arrived yesterday so those will get screwed the the frame between MDF strips.
I'll add some pics later :)

Spent the afternoon in the shop working on the router. Good progress but I didn't hit my stretch goal of a test cut.
Did manage to get all the cabling pulled, limit switches and triggers installed and tested and the spindle end of the cable is soldered on.
Next step is connect the VFD, cut the spoilboard to fit and make a test cut.
Inductive limit switch and trigger
limit_switch.jpg

X-axis cable chain
cable_chain.jpg

Spindle. Four 16ga wires plus the shielding. I really hate soldering GX connectors.

spindle.jpg

Back