My son asked to borrow a tool

I love it when I can spend time in my shop with one of my boys or my wife doing a project.
Last Saturday my youngest, (33) came over with his 2 year old. GiGi watched the boy while Tyson and I drilled and added a front bicycle saddle bag mount.
He called and asked, Dad, do you have a way of drilling into bicycle forks?
Please........

Be even nicer if they put things back where they actually belong so we know where they are when we need them ...

I just heard my late dad’s voice in my head!
“If you use something, put it back where you found it!”
A lesson I try to maintain to this day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a bad dad at all. He should be VERY appreciative. My kids are always asking what I want for my Birthday, Christmas or Father's Day. You've just immensely helped out your son in that regard. Ask him for an 8" crescent wrench from Spain for this Father's Day!

Bruce

Best answer ever Bruce!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two engineer daughters. Very proud Papa Bear. They unfortunately don’t borrow my tools though.
Which branch of engineering?
That's great!
My son's best friends are engineers. One is a Civil and the other an electrical engineer.
I have used their brain power in the past.
The civil engineer was a real screw up in High School. We were pretty worried about him. It took a strong woman to straighten him out.

Crescent wrenches, Leathermans and Channel-Locks, banned tools on about 40% of the job sites we work on. It use the correct wrench/tool or go home.
Yeah,
In our shop at work, I can never find a pipe wrench or a crescent wrench.

Which branch of engineering?
That's great!
My son's best friends are engineers. One is a Civil and the other an electrical engineer.
I have used their brain power in the past.
The civil engineer was a real screw up in High School. We were pretty worried about him. It took a strong woman to straighten him out.
The older (28 YO) is a chemical engineer (nano technology option) working at WL Gore in Flagstaff as a process engineer supporting production of implantable Teflon parts.
The younger (26 YO) is a biomolecular and chemical engineer working for a small pharma market research company in NJ.

Both were much better students than I was!

Congrats to all and their kids, mine a slightly different story, my daughter (39) was a high school dropout, who got pregnant while in school, I now have two wonderful grandsons, 20 and 14, and she now sells cars. Before the pandemic, she was selling about 30-40 cars a month, shes back now and said she starting to sell again. She got her GED and is working on her associates degree in business, the two grandkids are honor roll students, so in the end, it’s turning out okay.

If those old enough to remember the old shop videos ( movies lol ) of Primitive Pete , well that's my son ! He's 31 , though the years we would buy him tools new for birthdays , used at yard sales flea markets ect . He'll think nothing of using a nice sharp wood chisel for prying something ,then try using a screwdriver for a chisel because he couldn't find any . I gave him a nice Makita chop saw with a good trim blade in it , he uses it for cutting scrap wood for kindling ! I he borrows anything I have to fell it will come back ( if it returns ) needing repairs . So I too would look for the cheapest tool I had to let him use

If those old enough to remember the old shop videos ( movies lol ) of Primitive Pete , well that's my son ! He's 31 , though the years we would buy him tools new for birthdays , used at yard sales flea markets ect . He'll think nothing of using a nice sharp wood chisel for prying something ,then try using a screwdriver for a chisel because he couldn't find any . I gave him a nice Makita chop saw with a good trim blade in it , he uses it for cutting scrap wood for kindling ! I he borrows anything I have to fell it will come back ( if it returns ) needing repairs . So I too would look for the cheapest tool I had to let him use

But he is there asking and I bet in the long run your habits will rub off on him....

John

Back