My son asked to borrow a tool

Which branch of engineering?
That's great!
My son's best friends are engineers. One is a Civil and the other an electrical engineer.
I have used their brain power in the past.
The civil engineer was a real screw up in High School. We were pretty worried about him. It took a strong woman to straighten him out.

I probably should have gone to engineering school but my math skills were always in question. I can understand the concepts just that I transpose numbers which makes for really long equations that don't ever balance....

The thing I love about engineering though is it's all about figuring out how to do what is needed with the least expenditure in time, money, materials and man-hours (person-hours?). What workplace doesn't need that?

The best compliment my dad ever gave me was when I told him about a project I was doing at work and he said "well, you're an engineer". It took me another 20 years to actually have that job title, thanks Canada :encourage:. And many of the jobs they try to recruit me for are beyond my pay grade.... But if any young person can manage to get an engineering degree it will serve them well no matter what field they end up in.

JOhn

I probably should have gone to engineering school but my math skills were always in question. I can understand the concepts just that I transpose numbers which makes for really long equations that don't ever balance....

The thing I love about engineering though is it's all about figuring out how to do what is needed with the least expenditure in time, money, materials and man-hours (person-hours?). What workplace doesn't need that?

The best compliment my dad ever gave me was when I told him about a project I was doing at work and he said "well, you're an engineer". It took me another 20 years to actually have that job title, thanks Canada :encourage:. And many of the jobs they try to recruit me for are beyond my pay grade.... But if any young person can manage to get an engineering degree it will serve them well no matter what field they end up in.

JOhn
I became an engineer to prove you didn’t have to be good at math to be an engineer. Solving problems? Now that I’m good at!

I've got a Mechanical Engineering degree and depending on what you do for a "real" job, school can be a bit over-rated. I can still "yak the yak" a bit; Navier-Stokes equation for Fluid Mechanics, Reynolds number for modeling fluids problems, Goodman diagram for fatigue, Mohr's circle for combined longitudinal and torsional stress, blah, blah, blah. I'm a technical problem solver for GM in Lansing, have to admit to not cracking an Engineering book in at least 25 years (closer to 35?) since I graduated. Lots of information/equations worked while in school, but for what I do, not much is pertinent to the job. But I'm not designing structures that could kill people if something was missed.

I'd hazard to guess NO plant manager on the planet would care about a person's "pedigree" if the floor was down and something needed to be fixed in a hurry. Give me a farm boy who fixed everything when it broke over a PhD in ME who doesn't know which end of the screwdriver to hold when something mechanical breaks and you need it back up and running pronto.

Bruce

Back