Need a longer parting tool

Another trick I find that works well for me when deep parting is make a cut, then when you feel it not going as smooth, retract the tool, step the tool over to the side like 5 thou then plunge in again. Again when you feel, go back to your original groove & continue to plunge. This helps chips evactuate easier even though I use parting inserts have a v goove to fold the chips for the same purpose.

On a nice rigid machine with proper set-up , throw the power feed on and let her go . Those chips should be popping out of that groove like bullets . You're always going to have to adjust your rpms for CSS unless you're lucky enough to be on a cnc . :grin:

I had started that, but did not continue, you can see the lip in the cut. I'll revisit that when I start up again. I was thinking that the blade would/might have more deflection, and not track as desired.
I was getting some chatter I could not figure out how to get rid of trying different things, so I was hand feeding

Last edited:
On a nice rigid machine with proper set-up , throw the power feed on and let her go . Those chips should be popping out of that groove like bullets . You're always going to have to adjust your rpms for CSS unless you're lucky enough to be on a cnc . :grin:

Unfortunately I don't think I'll ever get to own a lathe capable of that but I did used to dream about it. :D

Why don't you drill a big hole in it then you can part it and ruin it at the same time.

Not sure what you mean Duane

I was using a .062 parting blade, would another width blade be better?

Way too thin. Try like a 1/8 or 3/16 blade and feed it hard. I have an iscar blade and I was having trouble parting turns out I was just feeding too little. Chatter cleared up and cut went much smoother once I bumped up the feed.

They like to cut , not rub . :encourage:

Very true I think I could push it much harder if I needed too but it’s working the way it is so it’s fine. Running 600sfm and .006” per revolution. At .004 per rev it chattered like crazy

Good to know, thank you

Back