Need a longer parting tool

Good to know, thank you

Make sure your set-up is rigid Mike . If using inserts such as Iscars , your chips should come out as spirals and break leaving you curls . Coolant or a steady oil brush works well . I wouldn't push it with those jaws in that location though . You're hanging on minimal scrolls on that chuck as is . If they would let go , that would be messy !

I'm going to reverse the jaws, and set up again, I don't have inserted cutters, only blades. I use a steady drip of tap magic, and went through several cans. I'm going to see if the water soluble mister will work in a light mist.

What size post is on the lathe ?

Next time a package comes your way I'll let you try out an Iscar insert tool , then you can make a choice ! :encourage:

That would be nice. :encourage:

7 more hours and I'll be home for 3 days so I'll get in touch . :)

I have definitely found carbide to be better in most situations but my lathes are slightly bigger than your lathes. These are things I think you should try:

-like others said is definitely just power feed start slow but don’t be afraid bump it up a little if it sounds like it’s rubbing

-if all you have is high speed steel calculate the sfm at about the middle of the diameter range for about 100 sfm

-get a thicker parting blade about .125 should be good

-Make sure you stick the blade out as little as possible to make the cut use the front of the stock to check clearance.

-make sure your compound is not hanging way out and all your gibs are tight

-use oil or coolant whatever you got

Let me know if any of this works for you

This parting blade was cobalt, the biggest I have is a 3/32 M2 U groove that I will set up, and try. I will go back to make sure the rest of the criteria is checked off.

Parting got a lot more predictable of success when I got a blade type holder for carbide inserts. Sometimes I can power feed, but occasionally that saves the big surprise for last.

Back