Need Help: Refinishing a Mitutoyo Micrometer Case

Nuts! Denatured Alcohol is banned in California (where I am right now). I'll see what I can do to work around that.
Can you still get bio-ethanol in California, the stuff that's used in indoor fireplaces and such? We recently switched to using that for french polishing a whole room of woodwork last year and it's quite nice. It's not quite as "hot" as methyl hydrate or isoprophyl so there's less chance of burning through your shellac layers if you get greedy. This is the product that we used although not from this source... (smells nicer, too :)

-f

1696797302326.png

Thanks for all the input so far.
I've enjoyed seeing the projects pictured. Heirloom stuff there. :clapping:
I've also sort of gone-off-halfcocked and ordered some shellac related supplies.

I'm engaged in a learning experience and It's my experience that education is expensive.
I've ordered 1/4 pound each of amber and light yellow shellac flakes from Lee Valley ($42.06 already) so I can try to match the OEM look.
I ordered a quart of DA and sent it to a friend in AZ (another $14.26).
I read that it's best to powder the shellac flakes so a nice looking stainless steel mortar and pestle is on the way ($19.33).

The economics of this refurbishment is not justifiable, but hey!. It's a hobby thing, right. That mortar and pestle is going to look cool on a shelf. :grin:

I'll keep you posted as to the progress/outcome.

Can you still get bio-ethanol in California, the stuff that's used in indoor fireplaces and such? We recently switched to using that for french polishing a whole room of woodwork last year and it's quite nice. It's not quite as "hot" as methyl hydrate or isoprophyl so there's less chance of burning through your shellac layers if you get greedy. This is the product that we used although not from this source... (smells nicer, too :)

-f

I've got the DA issue handled with a little help from a friend.
There's too much jargon in the highlighted sentence for this pilgrim. By "hot" and "burning through" are you referring to the rate that the chemical will dissolve previously applied coats? Please elucidate on "greedy". Application too wet? Previous coat not well cured????

No French polishing was intended for this case. But now that you mention it . . . ? Mission creep . . . LOL

"Please elucidate on "greedy". Application too wet? Previous coat not well cured????"

Sorry man, didn't mean to muddy your water!

Yeah, "hot" is the rate at which the solvent melts the resin so the hotter the solvent the faster you can eat right through what you've already built up. Greediness is a quality particularly found in finishers where one thinks something like ''...if I do just another kiss-coat now I could be done this by tomorrow afternoon...''. This thought process is usually followed by several words not fit for family viewing as the finisher realizes he's just burned through three days of work because he tried to build too much too quickly. See the progression?

Ah good luck on your quest, my friend! Shellac is a very slippery slope -- I have about 15 pounds of flake downstairs all the way from lemon to button and everything in between. Wonderful stuff.

Lac is above my pay grade. The more delicate the final touch required, the more likely I am to foob it up. Finework is not my thing, that's why I like machines with handwheels so that it's not my shekky hands performing the movements.

Using lac has been around for hundreds of years or more, and is an elevated art form. If I ever find myself needing something lacquered, I'll trade for the work before I dream of applying it myself. Nothing looks as clear or as deep, so I am sure your patience will be rewarded.

I am not using any thing that comes out of a bugs ass! No, I don't eat honey either.
Edit:
Actually I'm not sure which end it comes out of?

I think lac is the larval shell, like a cocoon. So it's really more like skin secretions from a worm. Kind of sci-fi, really.

6PKbOEa.jpg

I say we take off and nuc the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...

Get isopropyl alcohol in 90% not the 70, it can be used.. or get some grain alcohol.
I love shellac. My favorite finish. Not much need to tint it, if you get the Zinsser seal coat (dewaxed shellac) you can apply it without cutting it, but I always cut it 50/50 I think the orange shellac would be too orange.. you can mix the clear and orange.. but the seal coat will leave a slight orange tint.

I do not understand California's reason for banning denatured alcohol. But then again many things these days make no sense to me.

Back