Need help wiring the "Clearpath killer" for Clough42 ELS - iSV57T-180

I think you've found the root cause of your problems.

I'm surprised the regulator on the Clough42 board was not damaged by the 12v applied, but if it boots up it is probably OK. It would seem James designed a reasonably robust board, but it might be worth verifying that there is approximately 3.3v on the appropriate pins just to be sure.

Hopefully the project goes more smoothly now....

Mute point now but reading post 28 would have saved some additional grief. Can never ASSuME.

... Unfortunately, pin A still shows 0.8V and there is still no RPM. My guess is that I blew the pull up resistor. The new board is on the way so fingers crossed!
While the new board will no doubt work, it is highly unlikely that the problem is/was a "blown" pull up resistor. They have so little current running through them that whether it's 5V or 12V would make no difference. More likely is that the chip itself is blown up, if in fact 12V was being applied to 5V parts.

Yeah - hat's off to him. It also explains why the regulator had to be replaced previously. It also means that I feel like an idiot, but the way I look at it nothing ventured nothing gained.

While the new board will no doubt work, it is highly unlikely that the problem is/was a "blown" pull up resistor. They have so little current running through them that whether it's 5V or 12V would make no difference. More likely is that the chip itself is blown up, if in fact 12V was being applied to 5V parts.
The odd part is that the display still works and the buttons function. Putting 12V should not have damaged the encoder as it is rated to 24V. Perhaps it was some component between the encoder and the main chip. Either way, once I get the new one from TI I will figure out whether it was the board or not. Baby steps!

First off - thanks to all of you who helped me out. I got it working and as always I was the problem! The fourth TI board did the trick - a steep but not overly expensive learning experience for me! Now all I need to do is get a lathe...

Here's a video of it booting and working:

Oh man! That's good news...I mean it's bad, but you have it figured out. It will all be downhill from here...

Back