Need help with used pm1030v

According to the 1030V manual, that part is called a "slide block". It's to hold down the carriage against the bed, hopefully, with minimal vertical movement, and no binding.

I'd try snugging down the screws and then checking to see if the carriage still moves along the bed smoothly. On some china machines I've seen, if those screws are snugged tight, the carriage won't move. They leave the screws loose at the factory for that reason. If that's the case with your machine, your only options are to shim the block, or use loctite on the screws (and leave them a little loose), or just deal with keeping the screws properly tightened on a regular basis.

I took a video of the cross feed ways I think. Left side has only two visible lines that are not deep. Should I worry?

Attachments

• -2771876003400665634.mp4
    16.7 MB
There is nothing much you can do about those scars in the carriage. I'd focus on keeping the lathe clean and well oiled in the future. On more expensive machines the load bearing surfaces are "hardened" to help ward off that sort of damage.

Regarding the stripped threads, you already know the answer.;) Time for a helicoil, and maybe a longer screw.

There is nothing much you can do about those scars in the carriage. I'd focus on keeping the lathe clean and well oiled in the future. On more expensive machines the load bearing surfaces are "hardened" to help ward off that sort of damage.

Regarding the stripped threads, you already know the answer.;) Time for a helicoil, and maybe a longer screw.
Thank a lot man. I need to find the bolt now. Can one harden the surface on a lathe like mine by itself?

Thank a lot man. I need to find the bolt now. Can one harden the surface on a lathe like mine by itself?
I'm afraid not. Not to worry, though, millions of machines were built before hardening became a thing, and many of these machines are still chugging along happily more than half a century later. On a machine like yours, the main thing is lubrication, which is something you can do easily. Get yourself some "way oil" and keep the machine wet at all times.

I'm afraid not. Not to worry, though, millions of machines were built before hardening became a thing, and many of these machines are still chugging along happily more than half a century later. On a machine like yours, the main thing is lubrication, which is something you can do easily. Get yourself some "way oil" and keep the machine wet at all times.
Yes, that is what the the previous owner told me to do to and gave me the oil and the gears oil too etc. I bought a few instruments from him and a working acetylene setup. I wish I had the money to get all the instruments he had. He was a very very nice gentleman.

I got the acetylene to harden small parts. At least that is what I want to do, adding it on the things to do.

I just did my first cut :) on the lathe using the fixed cutter that was already there. I am as happy as a little kid on Christmas Day.

Guys, now it is hitting my brain what is the best way to clean the lathe after work?

Back