Need help with used pm1030v

@tim81
PM show you on youtube how the ways are hardened at the factory. Multiple passes, not pretty. Also depends upon what the material is.

In that video they are running large AC electrical current through the shaped wire that is close to the ways. The changing electrical current causes a changing magnetic field which is impinging on the metal ways. This induces currents to flow in the metal ways which heats them up to bright red due to the resistance of the metal in the ways. This is called induction heating. The heat causes the metals to change crystal formations. After the ways are glowing hot then they quench it with the water to trap the way material's new state. When you quench some metals get hard and stiff depending upon their previous materials state. Others actually will soften. If you pound on copper with a hammer deforming it, or just flex a copper wire a lot, it will tend to get hard. This is called work hardening. If you keep flexing the wire it will break. However, if after pounding on the copper you then heat it up to glowing red and then quench it in water it will become soft again and you can pound on it some more to finish making it into the shape you want it to be.

In that video they are running large AC electrical current through the shaped wire that is close to the ways. The changing electrical current causes a changing magnetic field which is impinging on the metal ways. This induces currents to flow in the metal ways which heats them up to bright red due to the resistance of the metal in the ways. This is called induction heating. The heat causes the metals to change crystal formations. After the ways are glowing hot then they quench it with the water to trap the way material's new state. When you quench some metals get hard and stiff depending upon their previous materials state. Others actually will soften. If you pound on copper with a hammer deforming it, or just flex a copper wire a lot, it will tend to get hard. This is called work hardening. If you keep flexing the wire it will break. However, if after pounding on the copper you then heat it up to glowing red and then quench it in water it will become soft again and you can pound on it some more to finish making it into the shape you want it to be.
Very useful information, thanks sharing

I have knowledge about induction heating now that I am thinking the Amazon induction heater 2kw might work on small surfaces if the geometry is tweaked. I will look at it later. Maybe the inductance will not change too much if one flatten the coils.

Way to many projects, but will keep this one on my radar.

Guys, now it is hitting my brain what is the best way to clean the lathe after work?
1698443985145.png

Literally called a "Chip Brush"

That and a bench brush will get most everything. A little WD40 on a rag for flat surfaces....

John

It’s silly I know but better to ask, some guys where advocating for vacuum cleaner to suck the chips away. So better to ask :)

If I want to start making an axel what do I need apart the lathe and the steady rest I got.

=Tim

Back