Need info on a good oxy/acteylene set up for brazing

Hey folks, I'm a small shop prototyper tooling up for a small run maybe 100, hand operated T bolts that clamp an aluminum block to a bike handlebar. McMaster and others just don't fit the bill, we need a handle lever you can muckle onto and torque so it doesn't hurt your hand just have to make what we need.

So I'm going to jump into brazing. Plan to get 5/16 stainless steel bolts, cut the head off. Then cut 2.5" lengths of stainless tube and pop a 5/16 hole near the center. I'll chamfer the bolt so when its pushed in flush to the holed tube it forms a groove or trough to run in some 56% silver brazing/solder wire.

So what's the deal with oxy-acetylene for brazing? I see little kits on Amazon for around $250 with bottles. I have good american machinery but I'm not above China Freight when I just need to get something cut. I know nothing about welding - and would like to avoid screwing up big time. If I buy a no name (non Victor) Oxy set up could I still buy tips that fit?

just trying to get tips and pointers on getting started with gas. Thanks!
I am a victor guy myself but I know they are expensive. I would advise you to use a standard torch with Oxygen and Propane for the fuel if you are not going to be running through a bottle at least every month or so, Propane simply requires a different tip on the torch for cutting.. I use Oxy/Propane and it works very well and is less expensive when first purchased and when getting refilled.

To throw something else into the mix... I really like TIG brazing. You only need a DC machine, which is cost effective in itself, as well as the gas and rods. If you have a DC TIG set. It's a no-brainer. If you don't, it might be worth considering that against the oxy kit and future plans. No special torch or anything needed, just standard consumables. You must get the TIG brazing rods, though! The ordinary ones with zinc in explode in a heavy metal fireball.

The process itself is lovely. Heat where you want the braze applied, apply the rod until it flows into the workpiece, move on, repeat. No need for flux, flames or loads of heat. Far, far easier that fusion welding with TIG, but a great skill builder as everything happens fairly slowly.

+1 for tig brazing but is there any reason a cheap MAPP gas torch wouldn't work? I just bought one from ACE hardware (overpriced) for less than $100 and that thing gets metal HOT. No hoses, no special tools; just pull it out of the cabinet and pull the trigger. I forecast that it's about to replace my oxy acetylene rig for more than half the things I usually use it for because it's so much more convenient.

Take your stuff to a welding supply store.

They can determine multiple options and show you how to use what they will try to sell you.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Try a welding supply store, I have found them to be a useful resource, they may be able to refer you to someone if they can't help.

Tim
Good idea Tim, that's prob what Dabbler meant. I'm getting
+1 for tig brazing but is there any reason a cheap MAPP gas torch wouldn't work? I just bought one from ACE hardware (overpriced) for less than $100 and that thing gets metal HOT. No hoses, no special tools; just pull it out of the cabinet and pull the trigger. I forecast that it's about to replace my oxy acetylene rig for more than half the things I usually use it for because it's so much more convenient.

When you say MAPP you mean the new yellow bottle? I have reg blue bottle that blows 3700F and melted aluminum into a puddle yesterday. Yeah I use it a lot (mostly under my truck on stubborn nuts). I actually have an old yellow bottle brand new of real MAPP but its up in Maine not sure how to ship it. I don't know maybe I'll try and see if a blue bottle works. But when you say $100 I don't know what you mean- the two bottle Oxy+propane method? I can't figure what else would be $100. Reading up on this I found that Oxy-Acet is 40% heat in the cone and propane is 10%, idea being that Acet is a hell of lot hotter where you need it? I really dont know

To throw something else into the mix... I really like TIG brazing. You only need a DC machine, which is cost effective in itself, as well as the gas and rods. If you have a DC TIG set. It's a no-brainer. If you don't, it might be worth considering that against the oxy kit and future plans. No special torch or anything needed, just standard consumables. You must get the TIG brazing rods, though! The ordinary ones with zinc in explode in a heavy metal fireball.

The process itself is lovely. Heat where you want the braze applied, apply the rod until it flows into the workpiece, move on, repeat. No need for flux, flames or loads of heat. Far, far easier that fusion welding with TIG, but a great skill builder as everything happens fairly slowly.

I have a good new Lincoln welding machine still in the box - don't know the model but I had a friend tell me it's gonna cost almost $600 to wire up two 40 amp legs (dryer outlet in my shop). I'm just not sure it's worth it. Brazing sorta sounds enjoyable - welding feels like a steep curve

I am a victor guy myself but I know they are expensive. I would advise you to use a standard torch with Oxygen and Propane for the fuel if you are not going to be running through a bottle at least every month or so, Propane simply requires a different tip on the torch for cutting.. I use Oxy/Propane and it works very well and is less expensive when first purchased and when getting refilled.
That's interesting thanks. I've seen those oxy/props and was curious. I'll look them up. when you say :
Propane simply requires a different tip on the torch for cutting..
I don't follow sorry. Diff tip than what? With Oxy two bottle set ups i figured it ws always multiple tips involved- yes? You say cutting - cutting what? Is cutting a welding term? thanks much!

That will work for silver soldering which is a great way to join metal but it isn't hot enough to braze anything of substance together.

When you say MAPP you mean the new yellow bottle? I have reg blue bottle that blows 3700F and melted aluminum into a puddle yesterday. Yeah I use it a lot (mostly under my truck on stubborn nuts). I actually have an old yellow bottle brand new of real MAPP but its up in Maine not sure how to ship it. I don't know maybe I'll try and see if a blue bottle works. But when you say $100 I don't know what you mean- the two bottle Oxy+propane method? I can't figure what else would be $100. Reading up on this I found that Oxy-Acet is 40% heat in the cone and propane is 10%, idea being that Acet is a hell of lot hotter where you need it? I really dont know
I'm talking about the MAPP replacement stuff, comes in a yellow bottle, no oxygen. They call it MAP PRO or something. Not quite as awesome as real MAPP but better than propane. This is one I got.

That's interesting thanks. I've seen those oxy/props and was curious. I'll look them up. when you say :

I don't follow sorry. Diff tip than what? With Oxy two bottle set ups i figured it ws always multiple tips involved- yes? You say cutting - cutting what? Is cutting a welding term? thanks much!
If you get a torch it can be used for all types of heat related tasks such as brazing, soldering, sweating, and cutting. if your are using the torch for cutting and your fuel gas is LP then you use an LP cutting tip; if you are using Acetylene then you use a Acetylene tip. the welding/brazing tips will work with both, you just adjust the mix accordingly.

victor-torch-tip-selection.jpg

Back