Need info on a good oxy/acteylene set up for brazing

I'm talking about the MAPP replacement stuff, comes in a yellow bottle, no oxygen. They call it MAP PRO or something. Not quite as awesome as real MAPP but better than propane. This is one I got.
To braze anything thicker than sheet metal oxygen is required, the torch you are looking at will do silver solder but for true gas welding oxygen is required. The gas alone is simply not hot enough.

That will work for silver soldering which is a great way to join metal but it isn't hot enough to braze anything of substance together.

what is silver brazing ? I'm ordering 56% silver solder to braze stainless - soldering I think of as cables and electric boards. is there a shop method of soldering metal?

If you get a torch it can be used for all types of heat related tasks such as brazing, soldering, sweating, and cutting. if your are using the torch for cutting and your fuel gas is LP then you use an LP cutting tip; if you are using Acetylene then you use a Acetylene tip. the welding/brazing tips will work with both, you just adjust the mix accordingly.

Man that just cleared out so much smoke. thanks. I had no idea gas was standard fittings that all worked together. and that chart is bang on - just what I was hoping to find out! Yes!!!!

To braze anything thicker than sheet metal oxygen is required, the torch you are looking at will do silver solder but for true gas welding oxygen is required. The gas alone is simply not hot enough.
Well today I brazed 1/8 to 1/8 6061 with just a blue bottle and got a strong bond- can't break it with a hammer, Not pretty yet but strong as hell. Also I expect to braze 5/16 SS bolt to .065 SS tube and was told blue bottle would work fine but not as fast as oxy-acet. I'll know a lot more in a few days

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-11-16 at 10.55.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-16 at 10.55.13 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 25
Reminds me of my time in the service, when an officer wanted me to Oxy-Acetylene weld a broken aluminum helicopter foot pedal. I said No.

Last edited:
Don’t know about your area but around here a few weeks following Craigslist will get a complete oxy/acetylene setup with gas in the tanks.

Get tanks that don’t have anyone’s name on the collar and you should be able to get them refilled. If not, then just look for the next set that come up full when you run out.

There are way more tank setups out there than people who want to use them.

My dad taught me to weld when I was a kid and he built an airframe out of 4130 tubing. If I was wanting to learn now it would be TIG.

I found his tungsten rods when going through the Akro-Mills bins a while back. Figure just like the Bridgeport he couldn’t justify a TIG setup was far to expensive back in 1961.

If the OP already has a welder but is hesitating on putting in electrical service I would suggest biting the bullet and doing it. His buddy might be estimating a little high anyway….

John

May I ask, what induction method you going to? Looking for alternatives also.
I am looking at 3 options. I could buy a 2000 watt induction board for very cheap, and make my own rig. There are handheld ones that seem to get steel red hot, so they might be okay fro my purposes. The luxury is a cheap desktop induction unit, with replaceable coils. Even teh last one is south of 1000$ for an offshore one.

For now my Oxyset is okay, but my bottles are overdue, and my hoses need repacement. My bottlles are too small for cutting, so it would be cheaper for me to buy induction and sell my Smith torch. Perhaps give away the bottles and cart.

Let us know if you're looking to sell the Smith.

John

I am looking at 3 options. I could buy a 2000 watt induction board for very cheap, and make my own rig. There are handheld ones that seem to get steel red hot, so they might be okay fro my purposes. The luxury is a cheap desktop induction unit, with replaceable coils. Even teh last one is south of 1000$ for an offshore one.

For now my Oxyset is okay, but my bottles are overdue, and my hoses need repacement. My bottlles are too small for cutting, so it would be cheaper for me to buy induction and sell my Smith torch. Perhaps give away the bottles and cart.
Like this?

There's an induction setup at work that I'm responsible for maintaining but I've never had to do anything with it. Not a bad piece of kit if it will heat up ferrous metals quickly to a specific temp....

John

Oxygen acetylene torch is one of the most used tool on the farm. Have a victor and a smith. Bought the victor when I was in high school and have had the regulators rebuilt. It has held up on the farm for over fifty years of hard use. What is not to like? Big mistake some make is too small of bottles.

Back