Need info on a good oxy/acteylene set up for brazing

Any two piece torch set with cutting head and replaceable welding tips will be fine for brazing. The best piece of advice I can give is don't buy small tanks. (under 200 CF). They run out fast and usually in the middle of the job. If they won't sell you the bigger tanks then lease them like I'm forced to do. Once you have the capability to weld, cut, braze bend, ect. you'll be using those torches more and more. I think my set is 276 oxy and 325 acetylene.
Please do not take the following the wrong way but, I am a bit sinsitive to the terminologies used, they really do have meaning in the real world.

I get your point; but, you continue to use 200CF which means very little, If you want 200SCF of gas the actual size of the cylinder will vary based upon the cylinder pressure and gas.

Please note, in the industrial gas world which includes welding cylinders that:
ACF sometimes refered to as water volume stands for "Actual Cubic Foot" which is the physical internal volume of the vessel/tube/cylinder/bottle.
SCF is the uncompressed volume of a compressible fluid such as Oxygen and stands for "Standard Cubic Foot"; therefore, 200 SCF will compress into a small ACF but it is still 200 SCF.

A large cylinder is a 3AA-2400 which is 9" OD x 55" tall and it has a water volume of 1.7ACF +/-, with Oxygen that cylinder at 2400 PSI will hold 174.92 SCF per ACF or a total of 297.36 SCF. As a comparison the same cylinder same pressure full of Nitrogen is 159.48 SCF per ACF or 271.12 SCF total cylinder volume. Now, if you can find a cylinder of this ACF in a 3500 PSI full of Nitrogen is 220.263 SCF per foot or 374.45 SCF total cylinder volume.

With all of that said, the 3AA-2400 cylinder is a fairly large welding bottle and expensive for what a hobbiest needs, the 3AA-2265 is the bottle(s) that I have and I think you are talking about, this bottles full pressure is 2265 PSI at 1.3 ACF +/-, with Oxygen that cylinder will hold 163.99. SCF per ACF or a total volume of 213.2 SCF and is common and inexpensive relativly speaking.

Just as a side note for those who actually read all of this, Compressors use CFM "Cubic Feet Per Minute" to tell us how much SCF of volume they move, not a true volume of storage, the compressor tanks or recievers are typically rated in gallons which is uncompressed volume (water volume) which means a 15 gallon reciever is actually 2 ACF and at 120 PSI holds 7.928 SCF per ACF or 15.86 ACF total; so, A little more than 1 SCF per gallon....

John thanks on the tip. I bought a set up today, took a deep dive into CL and Marketplace and found a Victor set up with 2 small bottles in the plastic carry pack, has a full size cutting torch and like new Victor Regs- just like you said $150 all in, acetylene 1/2 full, (just 100 lbs) I got the 0xy filled for $15. Had to drive 80 miles to get it, I'll post a photo tomorrow. Yesterday I peened one of these levers using an alum arm, will get the brazing started soon. The delrin spacer not attached on this one
Nice, just keep an eye out for bigger tanks. Since you have something now you can afford to be picky....

John

Nice, just keep an eye out for bigger tanks. Since you have something now you can afford to be picky....

John
Yeah my Acet tank is 200 um, (is Verboten listening?) well it's 200 somethings. Not CFMs! $25 to fill it. I think it was $15 for the air tank which is bigger. The guy said I'd prob go thru 2 air tanks to every 1 Acet, almost like they thought about it. If they'd thought a little longer seems like they'd make the Acet twice as big and save me a trip. I'm curious how long a 200 somethings of Acet lasts for brazing. If I get a couple hours of use I'll be happy. Good steer John Thanks again

Yeah my Acet tank is 200 um, (is Verboten listening?) well it's 200 somethings. Not CFMs! $25 to fill it. I think it was $15 for the air tank which is bigger. The guy said I'd prob go thru 2 air tanks to every 1 Acet, almost like they thought about it. If they'd thought a little longer seems like they'd make the Acet twice as big and save me a trip. I'm curious how long a 200 somethings of Acet lasts for brazing. If I get a couple hours of use I'll be happy. Good steer John Thanks again
you use much more oxygen than acet. for brazing, but start cutting and it's way higher on oxy.

Generally speaking I find that my mix for cutting is 2 Oxy to 1 Acet for LP and a little under 2 to 1 with LP for Brazing using a 00 tip while its about 3 to 1 for cutting regardless of the fuel gas.

Hit my first snag, I picked up a small brazing torch a Uniweld 71 with a 0 or 1 tip for $65. It has small Type A hose threads. They look like 1/4". My hose is all type B 1/2". Talked to Uniweld and they make an F29L fuel, and F29R Oxy adaptor but no one in town has them and ebay is about $40 apiece. The type A hose I see online is prob a better option (dual hose for about $40) but they are 1/4" connectors on both ends. Has anyone dealt with this? Is there a more streetwise solution than buying all this stuff? Thanks

Back